LC Thread 2020: What the PUNK? ROCK.

How did that even become a thing? You were in flyover country while I was inland New England, and we both had youth cultures fetishising some random SoCal surf wear company. The Swatch fad at least addressed some dumb part of our actual lives.

1 Like

How was “ Critique of Pure reason “?

The section on not wearing masks is eye-opening.

1 Like

It’s quite good. My original copy, highligted in four colors with much marginalle, was unfortunately pilfered by a friend of a friend I had loaned it to. I bought another copy but have made limited use of it. It’s the Norman Kemp Smith translation (1920s?), though I gather there’s a hot “new” translation that’s popular.

That was an absolute dog of a car. The one to get was the TR6, now a collectors item worth tons.

I had a Nissan 200SX with retractable headlights that was a joy to drive from here via Brussels to Italy and back.

1 Like

There was a stark class divide between houses that had ‘the channels’ — BBC1/2, ITV and Channel 4 — and ones that only had RTE 1 and 2. Every now and then some kid in the playground would turn out to be bullshitting about having them. We got them when I was about eight.

I guess that’s not really ‘the height of class’, though, which would be these fellas:

ferrero

I mean it said so on the telly.

3 Likes

Last time I was there, she didn’t have CNN or MSNBC lol

Extremely problematic or extremely woke? I really can’t decide

It’s a banger regardless

Preppy stuff: Levi’s corduroys, Sperry Topsiders, various brands of ski jackets (and skiing itself), Izod shirts, etc. Having an account at the drugstore, and therefore being able to charge stuff. Definitely the winter vacation to someplace warm (“Oh, Epcot Center is sooo cool!”)

Indeed it was.

https://mobile.twitter.com/tariqkrim/status/1277274078475358215

4 Likes

No pocket TVs but still a decent day in France. Francois Fillon, ex Prime Minister and very likely current President if not for this coming out during the campaign, got 5 years (3 suspended) for paying his wife a cool million from public funds for doing nothing.

He’s not in jail as they immediately appealed, and I suspect he will never go, but nice to dream. He’s a right wing politician, obviously.

2 Likes

It’s one of those things where it only costs a couple hundred dollars to do, but multiple thousands to do it right. Still pretty fun playing as the adult with a kids starter set of clubs though.

An American tying oot Scots…

1 Like

His FX show is quite good

1 Like

So good. It got a little dusty in my living room during the finale

Aeroplane would be a classic if it came out today. If you’ve never heard it drop everything, I’m serious

1 Like

Some of you are cheating by taking 11 years.

2 Likes
2 Likes