Kamala / Walz 2024

It didn’t work for those guys but maybe it will work for Shapiro?

For sure much of the Canadian prairie provinces are also the Midwest. Terrible map

1 Like

Thought this was an interesting read about Shapiro.

EDIT: Just replaced the original link with a gift link that the author posted on Twitter so that nobody is paywalled out of it.

Shapiro now has a 66% chance in the betting markets. Is this all because first event is in Philly? Or is there more evidence?

Think it’s just the Philly thing. Or at least that’s definitely when the big bounce happened. After thinking through it, I’m largely unconvinced. But obviously there remains a strong chance of it being him whether that’s actually been decided yet or not. I don’t buy that it’s a fully 2 in 3 chance based on available information though.

IIRC the betting markets had Susan Rice that high or higher even the day of the announcement.

So it might be a done deal, but not because of the betting markets.

1 Like

Just went back in this thread and Kamala was under 30 cents an hour or two before the announcement of her selection.

I really wish I could un-hear the thing I saw pointed out, that Shapiro has put in the work to specifically recreate the exact Obama speaking style. The cadence is absolutely identical.

To be fair, if you’re going to emulate someone, Obama is a pretty good choice.

Obviously Obama is one of the great speakers, but I find it distracting now that I hear it in every single sentence that Shapiro speaks. Being a knockoff is just never going to be as impressive as finding your own voice.

2 Likes

I’ve seen him referred to as “Baruch Obama.”

4 Likes

I disagree. More democrat politicians should try to speak the way Obama did. His cadence especially. Nothing wrong with being derivative. The goal isn’t to be individually impressive, it is to communicate and imprint the message into the minds of your listeners in a way that sticks and resonates emotionally. They need their own message and substance, but in terms of delivery please copy Barack or Bill Clinton.

Got an email today from the Harris campaign where you can sign up to get a text message when the VP pick is announced

Just tell them to post it here.

10 Likes

If you want fundraising texts from every Democratic candidate until the day you die, go for it! My one donation to Stacy Abrams in 2018 has yielded me approximately 36,578,834 emails from Dem causes since.

I’m not giving money for 3 reasons

1. Would be immaterial

2. It’s searchable by future prospective employers

3. Those fucking fundraising texts for eternity

1 Like

this

how can they possibly think it’s a good idea

1 Like

yep you have to be a literal insane asylum resident to respond to any political messaging/fundraising communication in any medium at any time for any reason.

Yeah it’s ridiculous how much the system is set up to discourage individual giving.