J.K. Rowling is being an ass again

There is no argument here for discrimination against trans people, and I categorically oppose discrimination against trans people.

2 Likes

Well when I was growing up there wasn’t any ambiguity. I was a boy, all boys were boys. What else could they be? I think the different environment today – parents telling their kids that they can choose their gender, the culture telling kids they can choose their gender, etc – has to have a huge effect on the prevalence of young people being interested in transitioning. We’ve gone from the culture and parents not even telling kids that this is a thing to having awareness of it everywhere. I’m not saying it’s bad, I’m just saying it seems indisputable.

Neither of these are happening

I changed sex to gender right before you posted, which I think is the more correct. And I guess “choose” would probably be a better choice of words than “change”.

I mean it’s practically tautological that a more welcoming environment will result in more transitioning. Rowling seems to assert that it’s resulting in ‘insincere’ or somehow illegitimate transitioning to escape the presumed unabated horror of being a woman. That’s the part I’m taking issue with.

So Inso gets contained and basically told to “Fuck Off” and the Nazi Whisperer has free reign of the place.

That’s fucked up.

4 Likes

I mean yeah, it’s fucked up, but you (and me and everyone else) are allowing it to happen. There’s no figure head to scapegoat. Be the change you want to see in the world.

1 Like

Oh sure I agree that’s dumb. I think the interesting part is Rowling thinking that if today’s environment were imposed on her young self she likely would have been interested in transitioning, and if she would have been happier or less happy if she had transitioned. And more broadly, are people who transition now who wouldn’t have if they grew up 30 years ago happier because they end up doing so? Obviously it is an impossible question to answer directly and a difficult one to indirectly address by doing social research.

I don’t think that’s interesting, I think it’s disingenuous or at best, highly motivated reasoning on Rowling’s part.

Or you could do nothing, which is still doing something.

There are a couple of mods and a few other people with some influence here that don’t think he should be banned.

Hopefully kick him when he’s down? :slight_smile:

Fwiw I understood that some people would respond this way if I started a thread here on this topic. I think it’s potentially interesting enough to be worth it, even if I also didn’t expect to be compared to Richard Spencer today.

So, I do appreciate you jumping in to defend me, but I also don’t want to derail from the actual thread topic, or make this thread about me. I think my reception in this forum, or the general topic of how to handle unwelcome posters, is better off in the bad posters thread.

2 Likes

Since there’s talk of Richard Spencer being punched here ya go folks

It’s always ok to punch nazis

9 Likes

Let he who hasn’t run a Nazi ant farm cast the first stone.

4 Likes

Saw this thread was here at lunch, disappointing to see it’s still here and OP isn’t banned

3 Likes

I genuinely don’t why its predominantly upper class wealthy Brits who are super into this issue. But a lot of people are erasing a lot of the good will they earned earlier in their lives with this.

1 Like

That’s not exactly true :eyes:

I appreciate the discussion. I grew up conservatively religious (or is it religiously conservative?) and never gave trans or feminist issues much thought, let alone the intersection of the two.

One question that I hope is not too much of a derail. Is point b) from the OP widely accepted?

It’s not my call but if someone is so committed to the idea of being a woman that they’re willing to have their dick chopped off I say they qualify.

1 Like