It's time to delete Metabook, Twitter and TikTok (and Reddit). Fuck it, social media is cancer - a thread.

Why?

Gmail is on my computer, my phone, and every other computer in the world. Back when I used to have my email server on my computer/server I used SquirrelMail to avoid using an email client.

I was very resistant to using web-based apps and having my data in the cloud for a long time. I like having a copy of all my data on my own hard drive.

How evil would we have to consider Google before we started pushing to migrate email off of gmail?

Give me a platform that can reach as many potential volunteers/voters, group them up, and schedule them for events (virtual or live), and I’ll gladly leave FB.

An advantage you might not consider when thinking about FB groups is that they are EASY to build, maintain, and most importantly, find. if you search for “san diego for pete” in the FB app you find our group. We also had a website. If you googled “san diego for pete” at first, you’d have to go to the 4th or 5th page to find our site. If we didn’t have a volunteer who knew how to set up the SEO correctly we would have stayed there. FB groups have a really low barrier to entry if you want to become a grassroots/activist group.

2 Likes

This is exactly how my long time group of climbing buddies keeps in touch. Its not all one email chain but different ones that start and last a while and then eventually a new one starts for some reason. But we rarely go more than a week and usually we are in touch pretty much daily.

1 Like

I’ve had facebook since the first few months of its existence in 2004. I’ve used it for keeping in touch with friends/family, organizing events, apartment rentals, group chats, dating, memes, buying used products, aggregating photos, travel tips, and current events. Only managed to trap myself into a political debate on a handful of occasions.

Been using it much less the past few years as the demographics changed and many of the above functions have been replaced by other platforms like whatsapp, instagram, or twitter. But it has provided me immense value.

This takes nothing away from facebook being a shitty company whose owner is a freak and a very weird dude.

1 Like

I’m not using Instagram or whatsapp. What’s useful about them?

I’ve used whatsapp as an alternative to texting or emailing photos. It’s easy to send a bunch at one time.

1 Like

Instagram is like facebook for people in their late 20s. Fills the demographic gap between facebook and snapchat. It’s also much cleaner than fb to use.

Whatsapp is the main messaging platform for travelers.

1 Like

This too. Whatsapp was the main way I communicated with microdaughter when she was traveling abroad.

I joined FB in 2005 as a freshman in college (when you had to have a .edu email). Can confirm it got me laid.

1 Like

Ig is worth it just for AOC’s livestreams.

Zuckerberg laughs at you. Revenues just went up 10% for the quarter.

Your efforts are meaningless.

1 Like

How are you using whatsapp while speaking out against FB?

3 Likes

Not real far.

I have weighed the safety and security and privacy for using gmail forever. My email is hosted as a domain by Google. I finally used up ALL my inbox space. Only took 13 years.

But the concern about Google is real. They absolutely collect data on email and monetize it. However I am comfortable enough with their processes to feel ok still using it. All this stuff comes down to convenience and utility versus privacy. For me gmail is still ok.

I managed and ran my own email servers for a very long time but it is absolutely annoying and a lot of work versus the benefit. When I switched over Google had demonstrated spam filtering that was miles beyond what anyone else was doing at the time.

I agree with micro, being able to access my email easily from almost anywhere even if I didn’t have my phone with me is of great value. Gmail makes that extremely easy.

But I am always keeping one eye open. Google has tried to walk that privacy tightrope since their inception. Sometimes the fall off the wrong side of it. Facebook has basically said “Fuck Privacy” from day one.

If I feel they are intentionally falling off the wrong side of the tightrope I would move on. For anyone who needs real security and privacy though, they should not use gmail. They are many specialized products out there that have excellent security.

Also people remember Facebook owns Oculus Rift.

Instagram also doesn’t have a built in “share” or repost type of function. On one hand, I hate this about Instagram, but lately I wonder if it’s not better that way.

The other things I find annoying about Instagram are that you have to post a photo, so if you just want to say something, you have to make your text into a graphic, and that the photo you post has to be square. No pano allowed.

Instagram has puppies. So, so many puppies. LOOKIT THEIR LITTLE FEETS!!!

1 Like

I hate puppies.

1 Like

I only deleted Instagram this year, and only because whenever I opened it it said “a Facebook company” or whatever it says. If it was easier to pretend that Instagram didn’t have anything to do with Facebook I probably would have kept it. Instagram itself didn’t bother me.

2 Likes

I’ve had it for years now but nobody I knew in America had it until recently. My sisters recently contacted me with it and my mother did as well. My mother seems somewhat confused by it but that’s not surprising.