It’s 2020. Why are you still eating meat?

That’s my problem too but I can only assume it is because I suck at knowing how to prepare other sources of non-meat protein.

Nuts to you.

This is massively wrong. The lowest cost per calorie foods are things like rice and noodles. Foods like lentils and beans are also much lower cost per calorie than meat. Moving beyond veganism, eggs are lower cost as well.

I was a vegetarian for 10+ years and then caved in Steamboat for surf & turf and haven’t gone back. I’ve been saying I’m going to cut out meat 6 days a week and make my cheat day a meat day also but have had red meat like 4 of the last 7 days. The science is in though that we need to cut down and I support your message.

Si, frijoles por favor.

2 Likes

As part of my food prep last week, I purchased 1lb bags of green lentils and dry cranberry beans. Both were less than $2/bag. After cooking, my yield was ~3lbs of lentils and ~5lbs beans - I used a white onion, some jalapeños, and a can of roasted tomatoes with the beans. All in, $6 for legitimately 8lbs of food.

Homemade falafel is so good.

3 Likes

If you guys cook a lot, try:

(I’ve never done it with the sauce, usually without the avocados given the pandemic and doing Instacart, and I usually leave out the corn. Delicious!)

I very much enjoy both.

Is it seriously? That’s awesome news for me lol… I guess this is what I am, I’m probably getting 97% of my calories from vegetarian sources, and 80-90% plant based.

Most vegetarian foods are much higher on a satiety scale than anything else, because they have so much more fiber per calorie.

4 Likes

Yeah it would

I’m not trying to be a needy meat eating savage but would anyone mind posting their go to veg/vegan recipes? Put me on the path to redemption. I will try, but not promise, to post some trip reports.

ETA- @anon38180840 soul read me.

I will say I don’t think it would have been possible for me to give up meat while still drinking. I can’t even imagine being hungover and not pounding fatty meat.

4 Likes

Homemade Falafel Recipe

1 Like

Unless you have tried for a few years and failed, you are not a competent judge.

Our palates are incredibly malleable. The things you think you can’t live without are not actually things you can’t live without. After some time you will have new foods you “can’t” live without. I used to LOVE bacon. It was my favorite food. I now find it disgusting and wouldn’t even be able to stomach it if it was going to go to waste.

I made a 3X batch of homemade falafel a few months ago and turned the kitchen into a war zone. My food processor hated me.

I tried it in the Blendtec and it sucked then I got the idea to send it through the meat grinder of my Oster. Works perfect!

1 Like

We’re making these tomorrow night:

@Riverman my last week has been infinitely more successful due to not drinking. My test will be the day after I have 5 drinks. Avocado fresh rolls or 5 Guys?

3 Likes

Redacted for privacy.

2 Likes

Also, whoever was talking about never feeling full - potatoes or sweet potatoes are both very filling/satisfying for their calorie counts.

[image|375x500]

2 Likes

This isnt the main reason by any means (that would be ‘im a bad person’), but i think it’s way harder to be vegetarian/vegan here than back home.

Most of my meals were vegetarian by default in my 20s because meat was expensive and Hunmus/Falafel/Sabich are delicious and cheap and everywhere. I wasnt vegan back then either cause im a bad person, but it would have been easier.