Investing (aka GameStonk and other gambling events)

it’s gone wildly down multiple times, last one was 20k to 3k

All this burrito talk is making me miss the Mexican food in SoCal. If you’re ever in San Diego, this, IMO, is the home of the world’s best fish burrito.

In Japan, you can get a world-class version of just about any type of food.

The one exception is Mexican.

1 Like

I’ve never met anyone who isn’t originally from Iowa who thinks this. And I’m guessing most people don’t look to Iowa for authoritative reviews on best burrito place.

Like when I moved to Iowa I was excited to try Pancheros given how much everyone was hyping it up. Then I tried it and it was like of course this is what someone from Iowa would think a good burrito is.

1 Like

I’ve had pancheros a lot in college (not Iowa), it’s fine.

1 Like

I thought you were in like a small town in Japan? Is there still decent international food there?

I just read it as Toyko when he said Japan.

1 Like

In my area, I can find excellent Italian, French, Indian, Korean, Thai, and Chinese.

But yes, I’m referring to Japan overall. The best or near-best version of every type of cuisine I’ve ever had has been in Japan, with the exception of Mexican, and, interestingly, Vietnamese. My favorite pizza is also in the U.S., though excellent pizza is abundantly available close by.

To go further, three unexpected areas where IMO Japan blows the U.S. out of the water are Italian pasta, fresh-baked bread, and cake.

3 Likes

I haven’t spent a lot of time in Japan, but here are some specific things I’d be interested in:
–Elite Barbeque (any American style is acceptable)
–German food
–Ethiopian food

If you’ve found good sources of those in Japan, I’d be surprised. #2 and #3 are tough asks for anywhere.

BBQ and German are outside my sphere of competence, as I’m not a meat eater, but I would be confident that you can place American BBQ with Mexican as a cuisine better enjoyed back home.

In fact, my wife occasionally makes homemade BBQ sauce and we joke about this being a good biz opportunity here, as it’s practically nonexistent, and when we share BBQ with friends, they love it.

I’m sure you can find good authentic German food in Tokyo, but I have no experience with this.

Ethiopian too, there’s a fairly large African population in Japan, so if you hunt around I’d bet you could find authentic Ethiopian. In fact, here’s one I just found in Tokyo.

Has anyone here had the Mexican food at Frank & Finas Cocina in Vegas? I don’t know if their new location is any good, but we used to eat at there old location a ton 10+ years ago when we were climbing in Red Rocks every couple of years on our climbing vacations. (Typically fly into Vegas, climb for a few days at Red Rocks, then drive to J-Tree and climb for a week.) Anyway, it was the best Mexican we found outside of California and Colorado.

I think this was a trick question, to make sure you’re not lying.

2 Likes

#2 is a tough ask in Germany!

I actually like German food but so many people hate it.

gotta get my spätzle on.

one of the last restaurants i ate at before covid was a very nice German (well it was really Austrian) place. would happily eat there again.

1 Like

My pescatarianism enabled me to sidestep the trap by claiming ignorance.

Regarding Ethiopian, when I was in my early 20s I remember having a fabulous Ethiopian meal at a restaurant in Connecticut when I lived there. Then decades went by without eating it again, until a restaurant opened up in San Diego, run by Ethiopians. I found it not to my liking at all.

Go figure.

I could just eat the different sausages and real German pretzel bread all day while drinking awesome continental beers. Matter of fact, I’ve done that many times!

Best Pizza I ever had was in Japan.

1 Like

I’m a fan of Cafe Mozart in DC, have no idea how authentic it is.

https://cafemozartdc.com/

1 Like

I ate there 2 decades ago but don’t really remember it so I’m guessing I thought it was average.

When i was dealing poker in Vegas I had a 5 person weekly lunch group with some co-workers. We took turns each week on choosing the location. One week I chose an ethiopian restaurant and it pretty much ended the group.

3 Likes

I went on my honeymoon in Japan a year and a half ago and was totally blown away by the food quality.

From a $6 bowl of ramen to a Michelin experience, everything was just top notch.

Not having much familiarity with Japan before going, I was also slightly surprised at how much Western influence in terms of French, Spanish, Italian, American cuisine there was (and not just at touristy places or hotels)