Investing (aka GameStonk and other gambling events)

For sure, but what companies look mispriced? Banks, aviation, hotels, retail, energy have taken a shit since covid.

Auto loans have stretched in term, big time, because people can’t afford the cars they buy, so folks have far less equity than prior cycles. Also its expensive for a financial company to repossess and sell cars (especially all at once concurrent with Hertz going bankrupt).

Yeah I think tons of people are upside down on the car the first couple of years and somebody told me that they now sell insurance for that in case the car is worth less than the loan in the event it gets totaled.

Correct, its called “gap insurance” and its the second biggest profit center for car dealers behind only the “extended warranty.”

Also, in case anyone is unaware, if you sell your car after purchasing an extended warranty / gap insurance you can get a refund for the remaining portion of the loan term. They will of course never give you the money unless you ask.

I’m in the market for a new car, is this the time to buy or do I wait a bit?

I feel like the answer to “Should I buy _____ right now or wait?” Is wait on everything.

There seems to be way more downside than upside in the next few months. Disclaimer: I’ve felt that way for a while and the housing market is surging, rent hasn’t collapsed like it should yet (but may be starting here), etc, etc.

So the market was up because it was factoring in another stimulus pumping in money, which is bullish, except now the stimulus isn’t happening, which is also bullish

It’s all bullisht.

3 Likes

No deal in sight on unemployment, mass desperation incoming, STONKS are of course up.

I signed up for robinhood because why not and I have never been more deluged by push notifications and emails that I can’t turn off. Fuck you :expressionless:

Shocker.

Why would you ever use Robin Hood when there are tons of no fee brokerages now?

Are these vaunted no fee brokerages going to let me buy 10x the value of my house on margin?

Robin Hood, Baby! From the rich to the poor!

I literally have gone through the settings 3x today and can’t stop it from sending me a push notification every hour. Bye!

How long have there been zero brokerage apps etc in USA? Lowest brokerage in Australia appears to be $9.50 AUD ($8ish USD) per trade. Could zero brokerage apps be a driver in this stock rally? At least in getting large amounts of retail investors in?

Russian vaccine pump now, lol

Bigly green already in premarket, if SPY finishes green today that’s TEN days in a row it will be green

“Russian vaccine has yet to complete clinical trials but works ‘effectively enough,’ President Putin said.”

I mean Vlad would never lie about this kind of thing, right?

How the hell is an untested Putin vaccine pumping the markets?

I’m still completely stunned we are less than 5% off ATH in the Dow, we will probably hit ATH today in the S&P 500 and NASDAQ is more than 10% above ATH. Meanwhile in the real world we have a raging pandemic likely to cause problems for at least the next 9-12 months, 10% unemployment with that probably not likely to get much better anytime soon, businesses permanently closing right and left, an impasse on further stimulus and on and on and on.

1 Like

Re: fees, my insane accomplice says that no-fee trades come with a hidden price, and that Robinhood makes way more money per trade than commission-based platforms because of the third parties who pay to see all your trades. I think the cliffs is that free trades get front-run.

If what he says is true and not another one of his PPT-level conspiracy theories, then it’s worth it to pay the small commission per trade on Interactive Brokers because an extra tick is worth more than IB’s commission.

He also prefers to enter trades via Limit order instead of Market order (at least when trading a liquid / high-volume instrument), again to avoid front-running.

(He’s all about saving pennies while his goofy algorithms lose dollars.)

It’s not a conspiracy theory at all, Robinhood sells order flow to high frequency trading firms who can front run buys and sells

3 Likes