Investing (aka GameStonk and other gambling events)

I need some triangles within triangles to make sense of it.

Although it sounds like your classic reverse-scissor oscillating cone. Could mean the market’s ready for a big breakout to the upside. Or downside. Or neither.

1 Like

I’m not what you would call “smart” or “good at business”. So I guess I can’t comprehend why - if all you’re recouping is your shipping and handling costs - would you shell out for an ad on Facebook?

They probably turn a slight profit on shipping and handling, and they may have already paid for the ads.

Yes of course they’re turning a profit on S&H - that’s the point.

As far as already paying for the ads - I doubt it, never seen them before. And all the comments are saying they’re a scam.

1 Like

Jlawok.gif lol stocks

And suzzer come on man how can you not see the difference between insuring a tv from Best Buy that could easily be replaced and your assets and future earnings???

Former Best Buy sales associate here. Their protection plans used to be exploitable for huge benefits on most products. The plans stipulated that your defective product would be replaced with a similar product if your exact model was no longer available, or you could opt for whatever replacement you wanted as long as you paid the difference. So you use your $500 product for a couple years, “accidentally” break it when it’s obsolete and only worth $100, then just turn it in for a brand new $500 model. Or if you want to upgrade to a $600 model, just add $100 to the deal. I did this for myself several times but I can also confirm regular customers got the same deal. I don’t know if it still works this way but it did 20 years ago.

Facebook either allows or can’t stop a lot of scam advertisements. Companies that will straight up take your money and disappear. I wouldn’t be surprised if this is one. It’s scamming 101, get you focused on the small scam that you think is still profitable for you (hey I know they’re gouging me on S&H but the overall deal is still great) meanwhile the big scam is that they’re going to just straight rob you.

We used to “shopgrift” from Best Buy when digital cameras first came out. Go buy one before a trip, come home, download the photos and return the camera. Digital cameras were too expensive then for us to own as 20 somethings.

My CD player boom box broke in college. I took it back to Circuit City returns. They stamped my receipt and told me to go grab another one off the shelf. I “accidentally” grabbed a much nicer model. They never noticed.

I still felt like a total asshole and my heart was pounding like crazy when they checked my receipt on the way out the door. I decided a life of crime probably wasn’t it for me.

1 Like

My friend owned a computer(s) for about 18 months without ever actually owning one by shopgrifting every couple of months from Best Buy.

My Commodore 64 broke. I finally did enough chores or got good grades or whatever the requirement was that my Mom gave me $150 for a new one. I took the guts out of the old one, put them in the new shell, then returned it. I was rich for a month or so!

2 Likes

My bro is a Union Pacific lifer and pretty high up in the company now and we had a brief chat this afternoon. He’s usually overly optimistic about anything UP related, but he sees the # of carloads companies are shipping across several industries and says it might be even bleaker than what we already think. However, if Wall Street were privy to those #s it might cause a nice rally b/c lol stonkaments.

This is unprecedented, and a big deal. The Fed is buying corporate bonds including junk bonds. They’re clearly just going to prop up financial assets no matter what.

I’m assuming this frees up cash for investors to pump stocks more?

So that’s essentially the Fed just saying companies can issue as much debt as they want and the Fed will backstop it? Crazy. And they don’t even have to get Congressional permission.

It’s how you bail out the oil industry without having to put it into a bill that can become a partisan mess.

More like EVERY industry, but yeah.

It is one thing to buy mortgage backed securities that are already guaranteed by the federal government. Buying bonds issued by private companies is totally different.

Are they limiting it to very broad ETFs? That would be a lot better than buying bonds of an individual company or sector, which would just be an insane cronyism nightmare.

No doubt. It is also example #75372 of how “But how are we going to pay for it?” is complete and utter bs held up by corporate stooges by Pete Buttigieg to make sure the entire benefit of the economy goes to a tiny fraction at the top. Wouldn’t want overextended oil donks to have to sell a few mansions or boats in these tough times to stay afloat. Let’s just give them unlimited money instead. Hard to go broke with unlimited money.

2 Likes

The article says they will be buying individual corporate bonds too. Seems…not great, Bob.

1 Like