Investing (aka GameStonk and other gambling events)

In for 200

1 Like

So, hedge fund managers shorting GSE to 150% of its float and going on CNBC talking the stock down, it’s doomed, etc, is NOT memes and totally a good and normal thing. But reddit guys (and probably some hedge funds also, and maybe they’re the real drivers of this) blowing up those short positions isn’t good and normal because, why. They post on a message board instead of whatever hedge fund assholes use to talk to each other?

Put another way, why aren’t the hedge fund assholes who shorted GSE to 150% of its float to blame for the insane market?

4 Likes

Up 82% after hours good god

2 Likes

How can we whack hedge funds within the context of a functioning market not powered by memes?

1 Like

https://mobile.twitter.com/Chris_arnade/status/1354991763551907841

4 Likes

Who’s ready to waste a day watching CLVS bounce between 8.10 and 8.85? A WILD RIDE IN THE MARKETS!!!

9 Likes

For the most part, sure?

I think we have to say there is a difference between AMC being meme’d, a company that would be absolutely fine without a pandemic, and gamestop a company that had no road to profitability and likely would be bankrupt within a year or two before this happened.
Pandemics have been amazing for the only stuff gamestop sells and they didn’t make money last year. Video games, Pokémon cards and random collectibles were rocket ships of 2020!

The weirdest stock pump in history might not even save them!

You meant to say 80.10 and 85.85.

3 Likes

I mean there’s a fundamental difference between saying a stock is doomed if you believe it’s doomed and saying “lol let’s make this stock go up to make rich people mad”?

Again really don’t give a fuck that some funds blew up (lol sucks for you is basically the correct reaction) and for the most part think people should be able to trade what they want but Robinhood restricting trading because all their lol retail margin accounts are buying a $2 stock for $200 on margin and aren’t going to be able to pay when the inevitable crash comes is not exactly a crime against humanity.

1 Like

Today is the day I recoup my money from meme stonking. I’ve got some shares of NAKD that I’m down on but I’ve got a $2k account that’s itching for some action. What are we on today friends! :rocket:

That’s not what happened though

:rocket: :rocket: :rocket:

How many more shares do we need to take a controlling interest and fire the CEO? I demand immediate 300% returns dammit.

1 Like

I just realized RH doesn’t have AH/PM trading. Another reason they suck.

This is pretty much the crypto boom from a couple years ago 2.0. After it’s over I will immediately go back to indexing and will pretend I wasn’t a part of an obvious bubble.

2 Likes

I think you’re focusing too much on the shorting aspect. The majority of people who have invested in GME don’t even know what that is. The main thing to focus on and what will change is that the ease in everyone having access creates new problems. If it wasn’t gamestop stock being the catalyst, it would have been something else.

We have plenty of people itt who have said their parents are asking them about this. I had to explain terms to my friends after they had purchased. That’s not great imo.

1 Like

So just stop letting people buy on margin? How is stopping trading on the stock altogether the right answer?

2 Likes

Also too, RH was liquidating non-margined positions. They had a cash crunch because of antique settlement techniques, as someone posted upthread. They couldn’t handle the sheer transaction volume.

It’s criminal imo. I don’t have a problem with them taking away my margin account, but to limit how much stock I can purchase with my own money and prevent free trade just to protect big hedge funds should be a punishable crime

1 Like

I actually got my robinhood working, deposited $500, and bought 100 shares of LMFA at $2.90 a share. I’m definitely about to lose $290, aren’t I?

3 Likes