Individual Economics in the Age of COVID-19

The only money that I really have invested, other then a few thousand in “fuck around and find out” dollars, is deferred comp stuff for retirement. Otherwise I am incredibly risk averse and have money sitting in bank accounts /cds with shitty returns. It sounds like the i-bonds would work for me.

Yeah, as long as you’re pretty sure you won’t need it for one year, then that seems like a +EV move.

9 months later and I am now at $5.25mm. What an amazing run with this market. I have been far from aggressive and am up from $3mm in 18 months. All I did was keep saving and investing all the money in the market. 70% or so S&P and the rest in some individual stocks.

link: Share your net worth progression - Page 64 - Bogleheads.org

The only thing more aggressive than that is borrowing and investing the proceeds.

The biggest problem I’ve heard is when people want to change their funding/withdrawal source. It requires some kind of Medallion signature thingy that you have to get in person at certain banks. So think hard about which account you want to link when you set it up.

The other problem is that the site has some weird security features like it might freeze your ass out if you hit back on the browser. And old people love the back button. But if you just take your time and carefully read the instructions as you go so you don’t fuck up, it’s easy. I spend 5 minutes per year on the site funding our two accounts.

I think I Bonds are great for the emergency fund use, but I also use them for part of the fixed asset portion of our investments. (I wish we were not restricted to $20k per year though.) I just want my bonds for ballast. The fact that these things really can’t lose money against inflation and pretty much have no credit risk is awesome. A drawback for some people is that you cannot easily rebalance if all your fixed investments are in I Bonds. (A younger person or couple could face this problem.) But I can’t get enough I Bonds to cover our entire fixed allocation so I have other bond sources for rebalancing.

1 Like

posted on the basis of the headline alone

LOL “my husband is dying and I’m pissed off I don’t get more of his money even though I signed a prenup, here are some throwaway questions I don’t really care to have answered but really don’t you think I should get more of that $3 million?”

I’ve never paid attention to student loans so would love some advice here. My gf has ~$80k in loans, aggregate interest rate ~7% (varies from a few percent to >10%, I think, but we can’t seem to find that information because everything shows as 0% right now).

My advice is to pay $0 until student loan payments restart–what would be SL payments we’re just going to shove into a savings account and lump sum pay it right before payments restart, maybe that’s May maybe it gets kicked further. Seems right.

She just looked into refinancing and found out she could get a SoFi refinance that would take her rate down to something like 4.5%. For a 10-year payoff, this would be an $850 monthly payment instead of a $900 monthly payment, so seems like a no-brainer.

Are we missing anything?

Only thing holding me back from doing the same is the dangling fruit of loan forgiveness, which looks bleaker after each passing day. If you refi to a private lender there’s gonna be 0 chance you’d qualify for some type of forgiveness or cancellation. I’ve lasted this long so I’m gonna hold off a bit longer, until at least the end of Biden’s term to see what shakes out.

I refied all my private and unsub loans to sofi 4.5% from about 9% on average. Pay about 1.4k a month on an original principal around ~110k. Has worked well and have no issues with the company or payments.

Paying 0 on unsubbed loans will still accrue interest unfortunately, so it will be like investing your money into a -7% account or whatever.

Also the money quote is that she is currently clearing $20,000 a month in retirement income on top of her $350,000 savings. Just lol all around.

Have you looked at what rate you would get if you did a consolidation loan directly through the federal government? That way you are still eligible for possible loan forgiveness if that is ever a thing:

https://studentaid.gov/app/launchConsolidation.action

$20,000 a year, not per month.

Spoiler: it’s surgeons

Yeah, absolutely this.

I think TX was the only place which had something non-medical at the top. That would have been a surprise if these data weren’t sus.

1 Like

to echo what others have said, this doesn’t seem right. A typical ER job working 30-32 hours a week in California makes more than 245k/yr.

Highest paid specialties in medicines are things like private specialty surgery groups like ortho, plastics, neurosurgery, etc. Dermatology is very well paid once you consider they work a lot less than those groups.

Pediatrics get paid shit because they’re reliant on more medicaid reimbursement.

I always thought psychiatrists, pediatricians and geriatricians are the lowest paid, something around $200k, while the highest are surgeons, radiologists, and dermatologists, who can make $1m+ if they own their practice. Maybe that’s wrong.

1 Like

Nah that’s roughly right.

I was wondering if they averaged in residents. Still doesn’t make sense.

1 Like

I just have to vent a quick second. I’m not a shrewd investor. So I go to people hoping they have knowledge that will help me. So when one of them tells me “we don’t try to time the market, that could be dangerous”, wtf are they saying? What’s the alternative? Not trying to time the market? Just buying and selling randomly based on whenever your appointment is? They don’t see that as dangerous? “Well, if I had a crystal ball…etc.” And I’m like “dude, I know you don’t have a crystal ball, but I thought the whole fucking point was to use some knowledge and past history etc. to try to buy low and sell high”. Anyway, that argument went on for like 20 minutes before I thrust my head through a wall. But like I said, I’m not a shrewd investor. Am I wrong?