Individual Economics in the Age of COVID-19

I somehow read discretionary as dictionary

1 Like

Not sure if this goes here. Even though I think this house looks like a Cheesecake Factory, all of the comments are gushing about how great it is. One comment even describes the house as being in the neoclassical style.

Like WTF even is this?

4 Likes

They look like pilasters.

Need a @zikzak opinion asap

Yes, but a pilaster should appear to be supporting something.

HSA provider may calculate the gains for you. I had a similar issue with Fidelity, told them how much my excess contribution was, they removed the correct total of contributions + gains (I assume, anyway, back of the envelope math seemed right) and then gave me the right tax form for it.

Related: For years I was a chump and had my HSA in a glorified savings account and got nothing for all the money sitting in there. At Fidelity, I can invest it, and obviously the returns the last few years have been great. I wish I’d made the move sooner.

Looks like they’re reserving space for future gargoyles.

I’m watching the rest of the video and it gets even better. The “castle” has an unfinished attic with random boxes.

Edit: and an unfinished basement!

This house is just a suburban McMansion on steroids and transported to the mountainside

1 Like

I ain’t watching that, but it seems like they’re just not finished with the house yet. If they’re waiting on gargoyles, then there is probably other stuff that is not complete either.

Nah, they’re done with the house. According to the video, it took the owners 11 years to build, was finished in 2015, and now the owners are trying to sell it. They only spent 3 months there.

In that case, I concur with your assessment of loltasticness.

at least the kitchen is totally reasonable

The unfinished attic had me laughing a little. I built a lot of high end or so called high end homes. I have seen a lot of stuff like this. There was one house and I will see if I can find some old pictures but it had a unbelievably nice kitchen and attached 20x20 room for their cats. Also had separate laundry room for the cats.

Why does a species that doesn’t wear clothes need a laundry room?

They didn’t want any of the cats stuff washed with their own stuff was the answer I got.

The thing that gets me the most about that house is the synthetic slate tiles on the roof. 12million dollar house or whatever with a plastic roof that looks like plastic.

Backdoor ROTH advice needed:

1. in May 2021 my wife deposited $6k in a traditional IRA then rolled it over into a ROTH, successfully completing the backdoor, so far so good.

2. since then she has deposited another $6k in her traditional IRA, I guess with the idea of preparing for another backdoor. Can we just leave the $6k in the traditional until January 2022 and roll it into her ROTH again for the 2022 backdoor ROTH contribution?

Any reason we need to take the 2nd $6k out of the traditional IRA out ASAP before year end, i.e. today, to avoid overcontribution penalties?

I’d have to look up the rules to be sure, but I don’t think you’re allowed to make two $6k IRA contributions in the same tax year, even if the intention is to do a rollover next year.

1 Like

Yeah. I think she needs to withdraw the 2nd contribution (and associated earning as well, I’d assume), and then contribute in 2022.

1 Like