Individual Economics in the Age of COVID-19

I’m married to someone with a similar income and she isnt spending half that amount per year on clothes and accessories. She does customer visits and board shit but it’s a tech company so I think people are more lax on clothing stuff. She’s into fashion but she’s pretty good at not splurging on things right and left

I’m glad people expect economists to look like shit. I’ve bought 3 suits in the last 15 years. The first was a crappy suit from Macy’s that I used for job interviews and the others were nicer but not super expensive.

I probably spend the most on nice dress shoes for work, that added comfort makes a big difference IMO. But I usually only own like one suit and mostly wear shirt / no tie. I guess we’ll see going forward, I wouldn’t be surprised if dress code relaxes given that companies are already facing resistance on people going back in. They might cave on letting people dress more comfortably.

1 Like

Idk if there is a specific thread for working as a consultant. If so please move and direct me….

Otherwise grunching the whole thread to whine.

So I work as an independent scientific consultant and let me just say… some clients suck.

I was hired by the CTO of a startup company to help improve the research process of the company. R&D is located out west where it was originally founded while admin and early production are in Chicago. So R&D is it’s own outpost/fiefdom run by the CSO who is also the primary founder.

Needless to say I did not get any real direct buy in from CSO so I instead went on an individual influence campaign with the individual staff and tried to nudge the ship from below so to speak. And because they have some big technical challenges I got heavily involved in technology solving stuff.

So I get on a call last week with the CTO, CSO, and R&D operations lead. The CSO claims they I did nothing to try and help him with organization, reporting etc. he flat out lied. He claimed he asked me for help. I checked, he sent me a grant total of 0 emails, calls, slack messages in five months about these topics.

I lost my top. I know the CTO from before, he is on the way out to retire soon. He privately acknowledged he gets what happened as he has been trying to change things out west for years.

I guess the plan is to find a new primary client (already in process). First bad experience I’ve had in 4 years with about a dozen clients.

Probably more that they’re used to everyone being too afraid of losing their job to call bullshit and in most cases the lie will lead to people groveling.

But as the outsider, no one is going to litigate on my behalf. And I don’t particularly want to work with them any more. So he wins.

Does anyone know how to deal with a fraudulent collection? I have one on my credit report from Sprint. I have never had an account with Sprint, ever. Worse, it has literally been on my credit report for 10 years because every time this alleged debt is sold to a new collector they start the 7 year clock over again, even though they shouldn’t.

I’ve disputed, written the standard fair debt letters, etc. response is always “we’ve determined you owe,” even though I quite obviously do not. It’s very annoying, obviously.

You probably need to sue them at this point. What a fucking nightmare this credit reporting system is.

Sue who, though!

It’s a good point, and why the system sucks, but I think the reporting agencies?

One time I had a company (more like a scam) coming after me for a made up debt, and I took it to my state attorney general office. They got it taken care of, but that one had never made it as far as my credit report. But maybe it’s worth a shot writing a letter?

1 Like

Ok, Nancy!

Unhumble brag but how fucking weird is it that social security is capped and if you make enough money at some point during the year you just stop getting it taken out and your takehome jumps 6%?

1 Like

Those people are very very careful to make sure you know the SS tax is capped because benefits are capped.

They lost their collective minds, and still do, over the 3.8% Obamacare tax that applies only to non-wage income over $250,000 per year.

As Riverman points out, benefits are capped as well. And as far as arguments on this issue are concerned, that’s a perfectly valid first order response. Of course it’s not insurmountable.

The first time this happened to me I couldn’t figure out why my paycheck deposit jumped so much. It really is a shame that it’s capped.

I felt the same way the first time Adriana Lima was fucking me. I was like “why is Adriana lima fucking me?!”

3 Likes

“We’re not yet 40 and have a couple million in cash/investments, and make a half million a year. Oh, btw, we will inherit a little under $10m, but please note this does not include a separate piece of property worth $40m. Should we be eating out less or spending less on travel?”

https://www.bogleheads.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=357230&newpost=6207233

3 Likes

I mean even the Bogleheads themselves are ragging on this post lol.

1 Like

It will never cease to amaze me, and I get it, it all looks backwards … if you gave me $500,000 I don’t think I’d ever work for anyone else again, I’d pay off my house and the little debt I have and live a simple life and mow some lawns sometimes. And that’s why I’ll never have $500k. These @$&^@ have millions and will never quit.

Yep, I have the same tendencies. I feel like with my current spending, if somebody gave me a million dollars right now, I could invest a portion to make a small income every year and live off that and never have to work again, but that drive, knowing I would be content makes me must not strive to get there?