Individual Economics in the Age of COVID-19

I ended up going with a Mazda, that may have been part of the reason IIRC. I had gotten a CPO Chevy prior to that. I was looking at mid-sized sedans, and Mazda actually had pretty similar reliability and value ratings to the comparable Honda and Toyota models… but a better price, and a much nicer interior than the Toyota and more fun to drive than either.

Embarrassment is a pretty weak reason. Sure it’s undesirable, but you’ll get over it.

How hard and bad is this:

Prospective Landlord: So we got your application and we need some references
Cuse: Sure I’ll send them to you tomorrow
Next day:
Cuse: One of the other places I was looking at came up with a great deal, so I’m signing the lease today. Please withdraw my application.

1 Like

It is pretty amazing how many people in this country get paid tons of money to add zero or negative value to their supposed customer. How the hell are realtors still getting away with skimming 5-6% off of every residential real estate transaction? Financial Advisers are almost all complete crooks. The average car dealer makes over $1,500 in profit just in finance and insurance income, per car. Don’t even get me started on lawyers.

4 Likes

Just thought of another reason. Let’s say I were to get audited and had to make legally binding statements to the IRS. If they asked if I’ve ever stated that I had another profession in a year I’ve filed as a poker pro, I’d be in a bad spot. This could cost me tons of EV, since filing as an amateur would cost me my standard deduction every year.

I had a mid-sized Mazda rental for 3 or 4 weeks after my car got wrecked about a decade back, and I was impressed with it. I still bought another Honda, but I seriously considered going with a Mazda.

1 Like

You’re really grasping here.

It doesn’t matter what you state, if IRS wants to come after you they would have to at least have some proof of income from another source. The would have no proof of you having worked in any other profession at all.

IRS: Did you have any other profession besides poker?
Cuse: No

IRS somehow finds Cuse’s rental application

IRS: We found on this application you said you were an (insert lie here)
Cuse: Yeah, I lied because poker players are discriminated against when it comes to getting rentals. I’ve never worked as an (insert lie here). You can see proof of all of my income and bank deposits. None of it is unaccounted for. If you would like to refer the lie on my rental application to the relevant authorities, go right ahead.

Moreover, you just need to make your fake occupation compatible with online poker. Just make up something about risk management or something.

You can concoct all sorts of scenarios, but there’s no way you’re going to turn fibbing on a rental application into something -EV, assuming it’s next to impossible to get a desirable place while being completely honest.

2 Likes

This also seems a little weird. I’d imagine they would ask if you’ve had another profession. Not just stated one. By that standard a dude claiming on his Tinder profile that he was a brain surgeon, would have to claim that he stated another profession.

Also, here’s something I don’t know about about, so I’m asking. Is there anything preventing you from having two different professions if you are a poker pro? I think there was a guy who was in here who was a part time sports referee while being a poker pro. Is there any reason why having the referee job prevents the claim of poker pro?

Not necessarily, but the IRS could potentially come after you for it if they wanted to or stumbled onto you. An accountant I talked to in 2014 or 2015 said it might be an issue but she “would be willing” to have me file as a pro. At the time I was probably making like $4-8K a year off sports broadcasting.

I know everyone likes to lol at Tesla but they’ve got it right with not having dealerships and selling direct to consumers. That being said, my state in their infinite wisdom has determined that you can’t buy a Tesla due to the Auto Dealership Lobby having a ridiculous amount of clout. It’s absolutely mind blowing.

Anyone willing to give me some cliffs on these lol franchise laws? And what was their original intended purpose?

Is there any reason a manufacturer can’t set up their own “dealership” and just sell direct through that (including online sales). Isn’t that basically what Tesla does?

1 Like

Realtors blow, and whenever I need one I negotiate to the last fucking penny (which I rarely bother to do) because even then they are getting paid way too much for their “services”.

@Surf, I forgot you’re looking at a CRV. I was also looking at a CRV on my last car purchase. It was between the CRV and the Mazda CX5. The real turning point when I was researching the CRV and reading all the complains of oil dilution. Do a search for CRV oil dilution and read up on it. I don’t think they solved the problem. The issue boils down to (as I understand it, not a mechanic), is that the small displacement turbo engine in the CRV’s don’t get hot enough to burn off fuel vapor, which ends up getting into the oil. There have been engine failures because of this. It was enough to move me over to the CX5, which by the way is an awesome vehicle and a ton of fun to drive. I highly recommend you take a look at one if you haven’t yet.

I bought a 2017 CX-5 certified preown with 30,000 miles. It’s a grand touring model and it’s way fancier than any care I’ve owned. Leather, power, adaptive cruise control, lane assist…

Anyways, there’s my 2 cents. Be real careful with the CRV unless you’re certain they’ve corrected the oil issue.

The cheat code to buying a house, at least in a seller’s market, is actually to not have a realtor and agree to use the seller’s realtor for both sides.

This is awful and gross because it basically makes the realtor that they hired to represent them super motivated to get a deal done with you. They will press “their client” to take a lower offer from you, or to renegotiate with you, and if you play it right you can actually get the realtor to give up some of their $ to squeeze in the deal- you start colluding with the realtor against the seller, essentially, and then you collude with the seller against the realtor, in a way.

It’s awful how this works but you pretty much get the best possible representation by using their realtor for the transaction.

This should not be allowed.

As a seller I’m pretty sure you shouldn’t have a realtor, either, but the realtors will not point out your property to their clients even though this is illegal. Or they will, but at a lower rate and only when asked. This is a rational collective action on their part to protect the rent-seeking scam they’ve got going which is outdated given today’s technology.

2 Likes

When we were looking for our first house we basically just cruised the MLS and picked out properties that looked interesting, I don’t know if our realtor ever was like hey lets tour these places like they do on all of the HGTV shows.

A big factor in you having shitty letting agents is you declaring yourself a poker player. If you’d called yourself something more reputable (and let’s face it, what isn’t) you’d have had many more options.

Since we’re talking renting places, I have a question. My lease expires in two months. I called the office about renewing. They said that after the first year, the lease becomes month-to-month. Is this at all weird? I’ve been used to renting from people that I know (or people who people that I know know).

I had never been turned down before this current round of house hunting for a rental. Both apartment buildings I previously applied to accepted me right off the bat, knowing my profession. This one being a shitty management company was just random bad luck, or poor due diligence on my end. I checked their Google reviews, but I should have looked into them with the Better Business Bureau, in hindsight.

It’s not like it’s my option of what to call myself, if I called myself anything else on my taxes, I’d be committing fraud there. I’m surprised how many people here are suggesting lying on signed documents.

This is how it worked in my previous building. The first lease said it went month to month at the same rate after the first year. With a couple months left, they asked me to extend to lock in the same rent or risk a future increase. I told them I would be going month-to-month, and that if it ever increased I would be leaving, and that I knew they had a lot of vacancies. They never tried again. I ended up staying a couple more years at that same original rate, but it was nice to be month-to-month in that situation and never feel like I was locked in.

In this situation, I’m surprised they didn’t encourage you to extend for another year, but really it seems like it’s to your advantage.

Things aren’t always as black and white as that.

You’re signing a piece of paper that says you do one job instead of your actual job, which is technically fraud, but as the odds of a bad outcome are less than a million to one why care?

It’s already been shown that your fears of embarrassment are unfounded and it’s hard to see what other reasons there are. You’re not committing theft or embezzlement; fibbing about your occupation isn’t immoral.

Anyway…

1 Like

Yeah, I can’t imagine ever using a realtor as a buyer. It’s easy enough to put in homework on properties for sale and just setup appointments to view them yourself. I’ve never used a realtor to sell a house either, but I’ve been fortunate for that to work out. When we last moved I had a friend offer to buy our house without a realtor.