Individual Economics in the Age of COVID-19

It’s just straight up coastal elitism. Pretty standard in this forum

3 Likes

Not wanting to live in a state where a woman’s right to choose is under assault is coastal elitism? Wanting my girlfriend to be happy with where we live is coastal elitism?

Man, Austin is a much cooler city than Philly imo, but I’m a coastal elite for not living there?

I mean, birth control could end up being banned there, so yeah, I think so. Plus they’re much closer to a gun in every classroom than anything resembling safer schools.

The restrictions on abortions disproportionately effect poor women. Pretty sure the difference between my monthly mortgage and your rent payment would be enough to facilitate any emergency she encountered.

We bought this house for 75K and are 10 minutes from downtown Oklahoma City. But keep clutching pearls about the impossibility of home ownership for your generation.

3 Likes

Cities in red and blue states are mostly the same. The divide in this country is rural v urban. Sorry you can’t afford a 7 figure house in REAL AMERICA

2 Likes

Like, you could buy a house in liberal college town Norman, OK for ~100K, be 5 minutes from Riverwind, 90 minutes from Winstar, and 2.5 hours from Dallas and play in games that are undoubtedly better than any games near you.

It’s so tiring to hear people that pay/paid the monthy equivalent of a 600-900K mortgage whine aobut never being able to own a home. Like yea, I’d rather live in San Diego. But it is what it is.

3 Likes

We should all buy houses in Oklahoma and HODL!

We live in a world right now where many doctors in the South are unwilling to give women experiencing natural miscarriages necessary medical care because of the restrictions in place right now:

When Roe gets overturned, we can anticipate many states criminalizing women who cross state lines to seek abortion care, criminalizing possession of abortion pills and any forms of birth control that Republicans feel are abortion-like (Plan B, any birth control that may prevent implantation, etc., no matter how unscientific their claims might be). We are drawing live to a complete repeal of Griswald and seeing a ban on any birth control at all except for married women with their husbands’ permission.

It’s not just about abortion. If CW and his partner want to prevent getting pregnant, that’s likely to get substantially harder in any red state. If CW and his partner decide they want kids, there’s a very real risk of getting turned away at the ER should she have a fairly common, unpreventable, but also potentially life or reproductive health threatening miscarriage because the doctors are afraid of accusations of abetting an abortion, and you can’t exactly just hop on a plane to a blue state or drive several hours to Albuquerque while she’s bleeding out. Heaven forbid she or anyone have an ectopic pregnancy in Texas after Roe is repealed. It’s likely women with one would have to move to a blue state to get care necessary to save their lives and never return to Texas again under threat of felony charges.

2 Likes

There’s a leopard face meme in there somewhere but I’m too lazy atm.

Right but two issues. First, that doesn’t necessarily make her more comfortable - and some emergencies (ectopic pregnancy in particular) does not allow for much time to relocate three or four states away.

Second, some states are already targeting birth control, including possibly making it draw a murder charge. Now, do I expect them to be charging middle class people left and right? No. But do I expect it to be easy to get birth control risk-free in those states? No, definitely not.

So how confident are you that Oklahoma, or Texas, etc, won’t go that far? I’m not confident at all, but I don’t live there.

No but I’m not looking to buy, move halfway across the country, and risk a high likelihood of moving back in like 2 years. Let’s be honest, any red state is 100% to have an abortion ban within two years, 75% to have one that doesn’t have carve outs for all three of the women’s life, rape, and incest and probably 25% to ban birth control.

I mostly agree, but the big difference is that in blue states the state isn’t really imposing much of anything on rural areas. In red states, they’re imposing all kinds of shitty policy on urban areas.

Is Riverwind on Bravo? If not, do they get 5/T+ NL regularly? Looks like $150K is more accurate, probably a little more than that to have enough space for a home office. I continue to think that the risks of being in a red state are significant, but cutting my housing cost in half would be nice.

All that said we can’t move outside the Greater Philadelphia area til my girlfriend finishes school in about 2 years anyway. But maybe I’ll give a harder look at flyover country.

Yep.

Yep, this is how I see it too.

This is the true nightmare. I think a lot of people don’t realize how common ectopic pregnancies are because they tend to be private matters that women don’t like to discuss. I say this because if you asked me, I would have guessed like 1 in 1,000 or 1 in 10,000, but it’s more like 1 in 100.

I mean, this is already happening in Texas. I’m not sure if anyone died yet, but a woman had to be rushed on a plane to Colorado for treatment to save her life. They don’t give any background info and probably changed her name to protect her identity, but the type of person who can afford a last minute flight the next day to Colorado is probably not poor, to say the least.

Now, here’s the catch going forward for her. If she was showing, and I’m not sure if she was, then anyone who knows that and knows she now does not have a baby could sue her under Texas law. Under other state laws being passed, they could report her for murder. So even living back in Texas now is a risk for her and her fiance, I believe.

That’s a 750K house in SoCal.

1 Like

I actually think college town in red state is an elite play. Can rent it out easily as well.

Other than abortion, are there any other specific rights you’re thinking of here?

Birth control is under threat. And abortion goes way beyond “oops we got pregnant let’s terminate it.”

Are you concerned that states will make birth control illegal or just remove all federal funding for it? If only the latter, why is that a concern for you?

ETA: I’ve seen nothing to suggest anyone is looking to ban condoms.

Yes, Republicans in Louisiana tried to advance a bill banning birth control, but it seems to have stalled out. There will definitely be attempts made.

No, nobody is looking to ban condoms as far as I know.

Haven’t states always trotted out crazy bills that don’t go anywhere? Not sure why birth control is under more risk to being made illegal now than in previous decades when it had far less of a foothold in society.

In any event, even if Oklahoma banned plan-b, if you and your partner don’t want to get pregnant than why wouldn’t a condom suffice?

Fringe conservative lawmakers have, yes. But now fringe conservative lawmakers make up a significant chunk of the state legislatures in a lot of states. Some of these bills have actually passed the state legislature in Louisiana, but they have a Dem governor. He’s pro life though, so it’s complex. He is asking for a less insane bill but also isn’t making it clear he’d veto this.

Well, for example, you didn’t see a lot of insurrections in previous decades. The GOP has gotten a bit crazy.

It’s not just Plan B under attack by some of these people, it’s the birth control pill.

For starters they’re less effective than the pill. Secondly, we prefer the pill. Third, there are other medical reasons to use the pill.

Fourth, I don’t think a smart response to lunatics running the asylum is to move into the asylum under their rule.

That’s fair.

My take is that the same people who have been saying “we got him” wrt Trump and his minions have also been claiming the sky is falling with these fringe groups taking power. They have no credibility.

People here have not been saying “we got him.” The fringe groups are on the verge of taking power. Look at the GOP nominee for governor in Pennsylvania, Mastriano. He’s a Christian nationalist who wants to allow the (gerrymandered) PA state legislature to decide presidential elections. If he wins and they retain the state house, PA is virtually a lock to go red in 2024. The gerrymander has been weakened somewhat, but it’s still not a level playing field.

Or just pick a deep red state and see how many Republicans in the state house support the big lie, full abortion bans without exceptions, etc. This is not the party of Romney and McCain.

1 Like