Individual Economics in the Age of COVID-19

Interesting, sounds like your role is very much trading oriented. I bet I would like the fast pace!

This was the Brexiters line.

1 Like

My interpretation is RE just wants to close the sale right? So it’s up to the seller to be firm on price with their RE.

I think I could have came in $5k lower when I bought the condo, considering they snap took my offer of $3k lower than their asking price and I knew the seller was motivated. But my RE, who’s a friend, suggested the price I offered.

I don’t blame him he just wants to close the deal. But I see it as up to me to be firm on price if it comes to it.

Similarly I probably left $70k or so on the table by not negotiating $5k more on my previous job (7 years + raises). They pretty much had it set up so you could always negotiate $5k more (so you could feel like you were negotiating) and I almost left that on the table. I’m so bad.

My boss just gave me the $5k, but I had also decided to go back and ask for it. But again, I almost certainly could have gotten $5k on top of that.

However on the flip side my coworker asked for so much they refused to ever make him an offer again. Although it worked out as he was a contractor for like 5 more years - which is what he wanted anyway.

Nah moving now is a nightmare and I really like it here. I’ll take my chances on a housing market crash in LA.

I’m trying to finish my book, I don’t need the hassle of selling the place, moving, etc.

1 Like

Yeah, I hope to talk to him soon to have him talk me through his thought process. I’m guessing the move is a big factor and that it would be really hard to find a new job (though he certainly has loads of transferable skills for a different industry), so might as well keep getting paid and cross your fingers.

It probably helps that he now lives an hour from our parents, so if he absolutely had to, he could quarantine for 14 days or whatever and move in with them easier than he could before. Both of our old bedrooms are available. He’s also not too far from his girlfriend (4 hour drive).

1 Like

Then just hold it from now on… Why sell next year?

I plan to become a semi-retired nomad and travel the world in my car for as long as I can. I’d be doing it now if I could.

Fair enough lol. Sounds fun.

1 Like

I will address the points in your other post, but I’m going annoy boredsocial by agreeing with him yet again, lol. His advice is solid, imo. I would sell now as it’s hard for me to see how the market is better in a year. I feel so strongly about this that I recently sold my second property and took back financing on it. I may get stuck and have to sell it again, but I wanted it off my books and to be someone else’s problem for as long as possible. I have low confidence in market maintaining prices once the evictions start.

I’ve had a CA RE license for a couple decades, and mostly facilitate transactions as a side hustle now. You are 100% correct, most agents are just trying to close the deal and aren’t actually going all out in the negotiations. Act as if you are the only person looking out for your best interests.

Most realtors suck at negotiating, so I’ve worked the shit out of them in the past. And most of them suck at sales, because they are just order takers and glorified customer service reps.

1 Like

When you say car do you mean a big fuck off V8 4WD thing you can comfortably sleep in stretched out or a pissy little Euro car?

I have a lot of familiarity with tech recruiters - who are the same way but x10. They’re the absolute worst. Once you get one offer they turn into the pushiest use car salesman you ever saw, and every other potential interview just magically vanishes. I’m like wait - what happened to all that stuff about finding the perfect job for me? The perfect job is the first one with an offer.

@MysteryConman addressed my RE thoughts very well.

Don’t beat yourself up on employment negotiations, they are massively rigged in the employer’s favor. Others may disagree, but they don’t behave like the other negotiation types contemplated ITT. In fact, I can count quite a few situations where I saw friends and acquaintances negotiate themselves out of a deal. Employers have a range and if you exceed it, you’re gonna get bounced, imo.

Big V6 4WD FJ Cruiser that you can’t comfortably sleep in, but I plan to get a rooftop tent.

We’ve done this conversation on here a few times. You need to just trust me on my reasons for doing it in my own car. I did Mexico and Central America and it was awesome.

LOL. I’m mainly a recruiter now. But I don’t do tech. That segment is so transactional and shady, and completely over saturated with recruiters.

Ugh, another whole variant with lots to discuss, lol. Recruiters are useful in an extremely limited number of scenarios, but the jobs that you and I would be aiming for frequently get hurt more than helped by recruiters. NEVER ever give your resume to any recruiter until you are satisfied that they are the best option for your search. They will fire your resume to like 1000 employers and then you are scratched if you make contact with the company directly.

ETA: This post was, in no way, intended to besmirch the character of @MysteryConman :slight_smile: In fact, we can expect some solid gold recruiting truth bombs going forward.

1 Like

In my case though the alternative was staying on as a contractor where you can write everything off - which is why my buddy wasn’t interested in converting. But they actually offered me a lot more than I was expecting to go salaried employee (basically I was making $65/hr and they offered $130k/yr). Hence I almost left $5k that they were basically giving me on the table, and probably could have bumped it up to $140k. That company paid really well. When we got bought out the parent company hated our salaries.

My buddy was making like $105/hr doing corp to corp and writing a ton of stuff off. His wife had good health insurance for the family. It was a great deal for him.

1 Like

Right. But I need a place to live now, and I won’t in a year. Hence I’ll risk it.

1 Like

In my case it’s usually been like I was responding to a listing, and then the recruiter comes into the picture because they placed it. Then they offer you other listings they have. I was working with a half-dozen recruiters on my last job search.

1 Like

Common sense says property prices are more likely to fall over the next year, so as everything is irrational now you should probably stay put and cash in next year.

1 Like