Individual Economics in the Age of COVID-19

To add.

Of course this a solvable problem. You just need well educated technocrats implementing international best policy with only minimal influence from interest groups.

1 Like

Yeah this only applies to car dependant cities for sure. In Boston (where most people don’t own a car and NOBODY drives from their house to someplace in the city) these types of buildings are fantastic.

Always cracks me up when business owners use the argument for more parking as increasing their business. People who park on the street are not going into their businesses. In fact if they were any appreciable part of their clients they would go out of business.

Car brains hate this one place! (Please remove parking Boston)
https://www.tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g60745-d481780-Reviews-Charles_Street-Boston_Massachusetts.html

“Visit this historic and ritzy Boston neighborhood to soak up its classic New England charm as you stroll down cobblestoned, gas-lamp lined streets. Bring your walking shoes, camera, and select a nice day to wander through the hilly neighborhood and check out its exclusive addresses. Louisburg Square, Mt. Vernon street, Chestnut street and the extremely narrow and widely photographed Acorn street make a nice walking path. Make sure to meander down Charles street to poke into boutiques and antique shops, cafes, and restaurants on this quaint shopping street. Don’t forget to catch a glimpse up close of the State House with its beautiful and iconic dome.”

Look at all those walking verbs! Cars fuck off!

Newbury and Hanover too

I’ve lived here without a car for 10 years and it’s been great (and I’ve saved an absurd amount of money).

Edit: being car-less has been great, I mean. DC sucks.

probably could approximate it by square miles with a ~mile of mass transit that arrives at least every 15 minutes and goes between their location and a downtown core of a journey of less than 30m, with corresponding mass transit in all directions, along with walkable neighborhoods. Limits it to T in Boston, L in Chicago, NY, DC, SEPTA in Philly (maybe), BART in SF (maybe). My guess is you’re hitting around ~1/10th of the US population among those. (probably 1/1000th of the area if even that)

There’s some college towns and smaller downtown neighborhoods in smaller cities that are OK (e.g. Bloomington, Seattle, Minneapolis) and you can Uber if necessary, but in general it’s just complete ass.

Also we got this thread once this discussion dies out: Urban Planning Thread - #7 by Krayz

Most places in these cities with these transit systems have typical grocery stores (and smaller stores that have groceries) within walking distance. Just get a bike with a basket at absolute worst and you’re good to go

Yeah I’ve never had kids so can’t comment on that. The Dutch do it, but it’s probably easier for them to get toddler carriers and such.

https://www.barrons.com/amp/articles/are-you-rich-how-much-of-a-nest-egg-do-you-need-to-join-the-true-elite-1460405700

Why am I sharing this Barton’s article from 2008? Because 15 years later it still boggles the mind.

Paywall

… said no rich person, ever.

Sorry about that. I was able to see after refreshing even though I don’t subscribe

Here’s non-paywalled text

https://twitter.com/carnage4life/status/1649792290918105089?s=46&t=5Y4DrgHazxMWQ9paU0HR7w

I remember seeing this thread when it first started. Sick twist.

2 Likes

Dare is a worthy Twitter follow.

“while if I lose my job (relatively higher probability)”

Seems like the guy was expecting it tbh

The rare tech employee that senses that maybe they shouldn’t get paid $300,000 to play ping pong.

1 Like

Minor twist that they were sort of anticipating and trying to plan for.

They seem fine laid off or not laid off. New house or old house.

If we’re bringing out the guillotine, then we don’t need the plot twist.

Oh no, only 700K a year. How can they possibly survive now?

1 Like

I really need to get my finances in order. I just realized, like yesterday, that it doesn’t make a ton of sense to have a separate high-yield savings account when I could just keep that cash at my brokerage account, invested in a money market account at the same or higher rates. One fewer account to keep track of.

The only downside is that TD Ameritrade (soon to be Schwab) doesn’t automatically sweep cash balances into money market funds, so you have to keep track of your cash balances and manually move cash balances to the higher-yielding options.

I’m looking at doing something similar currently.

Is there a major difference between parking cash in a Money Market Fund through a bank, or doing it through a Money Market Mutual Fund on Vanguard (Probably VMRXX or VMFXX)?

I get that the Vanguard investments aren’t going to be FDIC insured, but I think the likelihood of a Vanguard Bank run seems pretty low.