Immigration - Open Borders

Why is that a bad thing?

Lots of young, working age people, working hard and earning salary in the best opportunity they can find. Will they stay in the slums for long?

Fwiw. Our understanding of slums in developing economies has completely changed in recent years and they are viewed much more positively for similar reasons.

Where does the imported slave labour count in the per capita figures here?

No idea. It’s not my genre but certainly you could imagine a show from two right wing guys without any economics training trashing on Profit over People or 23 Things They Don’t Tell You About Capitalism in order to mine zingers and one liners.

I’ve listened to every episode of If Books Could Kill as I generally like both hosts and it’s sometimes funny. I am however highly skeptical of it as a source for substantive criticism of any kind and would certainly not use it a the sole reason to write off an entire scholar or author.

Some places you can just show up and stay “informally” by doing visa runs, Brazil might be like that. You could do that in Mexico indefinitely, but they started cracking down b/c they got an influx of dumbass passport bros during covid.

To stay officially in Brazil, you could go the digital nomad visa route or look into other residency visas if you have quite a bit of money. Brazil is notorious for loads of pointless paperwork and bureaucracy though. When we visited we couldn’t even get a SIM card legally for our phones. After visiting the 5th store, some guy just put a random Brazilian’s info into the system to trick it into allowing us to have a SIM. So I wouldn’t really want to go through all that shit for a visa.

2 Likes

I do think if we have open borders you would have to lose the birthright citizenship from being physically in USA when born. Birthright citizenship isn’t a thing in the Shengen (or at least not in Germany when I lived there) and I don’t think it would work well if a non-citizen could just travel to USA at 8 months pregnant to have a baby.

Of course, for lots of people it makes sense. If I am a construction worker living in makeshift housing and making $10 a day why wouldn’t I want to live in makeshift housing in the USA with the potential to make $10 an hour…

Usually the libertarian idea of open borders is accompanied by getting rid of the minimum wage/regulations/permitting/etc

From google: Half of the global population lives on less than US$6.85 per person per day

Will they stay in the slums for long?

Yeah, I think so. I’m skeptical that they’ll ever be able to actually afford stable housing.

Anchor babies!

I would have guessed that open borders would take away a lot of the incentive to do this

1 Like