I permanently banned Basic tonight. Vote to uphold or repeal.

Agreed.

Is he being banned for having views posters don’t like or being a previously banned poster?

If there is evidence of the latter then a ban is obvious but the question should be asked why wasn’t he banned immediately?

If he is being banned for ideas then that is another discussion. The Venn diagram post is incredibly stupid but what makes it ban-worthy under our rules?

2 Likes

The dominant RAIDs indicator for me has always been his constant ignoring of any posts stating that he is RAIDs. A post could make several points relevant to the general discussion and end with ‘fuck off RAIDs’. And RAIDs would reply to the relevant points and completely ignore, not even deny, the closing point.

Clovis, the attitude here seems reasonable, but at the same time it’s impossible to deal with a poster like RAIDS with this attitude. By “posters like RAIDS”, I mean posters who have a (well-established) practice of posting a high volume of posts that come close to being moderation-worthy, but not necessarily having any single post that warrants banning on its own. If you force a moderator to show you one post, you’ll probably say, “Ahh, that’s not so bad. Whomst amongst us hasn’t made the occasional bad post?”

But it’s the constant stream of low-quality posts like that that make him a terrible poster. Who, again, has been banned so much across two sites that he’s basically an internet meme at this point.

As an analogy, think of a stereotypical person in the “racist but not wearing Klan robes” category. That person likely says and does things every single day that, if you look at the collection of those things, obviously indicates their racism. But if you engage in the “Show me a statement or an action that is obviously racist” debate, you’ll find yourself flailing around because any one of those statements/actions could probably be defended as having a non-racist origin.

6 Likes

Vote is 27-0, can probably lock this thread too before it gets out of hand like every other one that involves moderator action.

3 Likes

What was he banned for before? I voted no but I’m not familiar with other bans, just going off posts I’ve seen made by Basic.

I agree which is why I said if there is proof he is RAIDS then no further discussion needed. Ban him.

You guys follow the old two plus two drama way more than me so if everyone is convinced it’s him I’m not objecting.

I do wonder why he was allowed to post so long if we knew he was banned?

1 Like

29 to 1 as of now. Pretty good sign that the ban is proper.

He never pinged my radar as being particularly egregious - but I did notice his registration for some reason, and noted that he was probably a former 2p2er. This is true for a lot of posters here though. Can you please post the final straw? I just want to see what he was banned for before I vote. I don’t know much about RAIDS honestly, or how you know for sure he is RAIDS?

Ggoreo posted the last straw already.

1 Like

I don’t think that post is that bad. It’s a shit take, but if it’s a body of work thing I get it. Idk. Maybe it’s the lack of time I spend in politics threads, but he really never got on my radar as being particularly awful.

It’s the strongest evidence that it’s hom: a constant stream of shit takes that color just inside the lines so that no one of them is cause for a ban. It’s his whole MO and has been for like a decade solid. When called out for being anachronistic by Wichita, he didn’t deny it or ask who that was. He instead leaned into the trolling.

7 Likes

The post is basically labeling Palestinians and people who think they deserve basic human rights anti-semites. As I said in that thread it’s extremely prejudiced, untrue and literally a Mark Levin ongoing take.

4 Likes

if we grow there’s gonna be a lot of people coming in here with shit takes. I guess I just don’t really care if people have shit takes.

What I worry about is someone new to the community seeing a ban like this, not understanding the context, and being afraid to post. I mean hell even I am afraid to post my thoughts sometimes for fear of being yelled at or even worse, hurting someone’s feelings. That may or may not be reasonable, but it is a distinct feeling I get from here.

4 Likes

This is all true, and I think it applies more to the case of ins0, who imo genuinely believed a lot of garbage ideas, and was willing to post those garbage ideas. I don’t think posters like that should be banned. (I disagree with the ins0 banning, but mostly on principle - I’m not super upset he’s gone.)

RAIDS is a unicorn where his garbage bad-faith posting is prolific and well-known from our time on 2p2. It’s hard to imagine any other poster presenting this issue.

2 Likes

If there was no track record of the same stuff then I would tend to agree with you. In other words if he was just some random poster who showed up I don’t think he should be banned for that post or for his recent posting history. Maybe warned or moderated because to me that post goes beyond just a bad take. We shouldn’t be allowed to post racist takes or their equivalent. That’s what that post is.

The problem is he has done this for a decade, has never showed any interest in changing and is basically a troll. He makes the place worse and through moderation and bans hasn’t even attempted to be better. Allowing someone to make every thread literally worse also will turn off any new users.

4 Likes

:+1:

That post you’re talking about is when I finally said ‘Ban Him’ and its deserved imo.

1 Like

this seems like something to consider before making any moves

27-0, but at least one poster still took the time to bash the moderator for the action that he voted in favor of and was unanimously approved by every other poster.

2 Likes

This is a ludicrous and straight up bad faith thing to say.

RAIDS’ trolls have always bounced off me like water off a duck’s back so whatever. Jmakin is spot-on, though.

1 Like