God and Religion

Lots of people enjoy ritual and fellowship etc that you get from a church even if they don’t buy into the dogma

1 Like

Buddhism is much more diverse than most people realise. That is why you can call it a religion or a philosophy and it comes with and without ‘gods’ depending on which branch you follow. Personally I think ‘gods’ are not compatible with impermanence but my wife definitely prays to diety’s.

1 Like

What about Brits and the Church of England? They’re all atheists, but say Church of England when asked.

This might have gone over my head. I just assumed that Church of England meant Christian of some sort.

I’m a secular Buddhist.

I practice some of the tenants of Buddhism but ignore everything paranormal or faith based.

Fantastic! We’ve got one here. I think @cassette has some questions for you.

Well I think Clovis is a pretty hardcore atheist. I wonder if he agrees with me about anti-theism though: even if God exists, we should fight Him and try to kill Him. Worshiping a being like the Christian God is morally indefensible.

It’s a silly question. It’s like asking if we should fight all the dragons.

It’s an informative hypothetical imo, but sure.

There’s nothing logically impossible about the hypothetical existence of dragons, and if dragons were causing Holocausts and giving kids bone cancer, I’d be anti-dragon too!

On the other hand, an all-loving, all-knowing, all-powerful God is logically impossible given the state of suffering in the world. So we know that IF a God exists, He is a liar, and a lying God is at least not a logical impossibility. He either doesn’t love us or he is not omnipotent or not omniscient (or some combination of those).

1 Like

:vince1:

The animal situation is proof of God

Blessed are those poor in spirit.

tmp

Have a humility before the truth. You guys dont know anything with certainty about origin, and I’d wager that in your more unpolluted moments of consciousness, you can identify something like that.

1 Like

Don’t forget the free wine!

Isn’t that why they invented church choirs?

1 Like

love beyond your capacity to love :vince1:

1 Like

Living Colour is proof of God

1 Like

make no monument unto the nightshift thyself