God and Religion

I’d be interested to hear more about how the first thing in paragraph two is different from the second thing.

It sounds like you want to be able to define one as good and the other as bad when maybe they are overlapping circles in a Venn diagram.

https://twitter.com/ReligionMag/status/1326544479289974786

Seems like the right place?

My sister has a medical consulting buisness and has clients(doctors) nationwide.

Last July her firstborn grandson Miles was born very premature. He put up a fight, but lost the battle after 3 months.

She dreamed about him last night . Awoke and was distraught and cried.

Today she was in a teleconference with a doctor from New York, who has mentioned before that she has Physic abilities.

During the conversation , the doctor paused and eyes got wide and said she was having a physic episode.

She held her arm up to the camera and my sister said every hair on the lady’s arm was standing st8 up.

She mentioned and old lady with blue hair.

My sister didn’t know what to think, the doctor and said there was another liitle lady with glasses holding a baby.

This gets my sisters attention , the doctor contines, it is Miles and they said to tell you that he is well . She then adds , the one with the blue hair says not to worry she still has her wood spoon. At this point my sister loses it and begins crying.

She regains her composure , they finish the meeting.

She calls me.
The doctor knew about Miles, and could deduce passed grandparents.

The spoon. I did’nt even remember the spoon. My sister tells me there is no fucking way she has ever told the doctor about the spoon. My grandmom used to tease my sister and cousin with a spoon and threats of a spanking. Like i said , if i was trying to fool my sister i wouldn’t even remeber the spoon and it seems so random.

Odds this is a fake?

common psychic’s trick, there’s probably plenty of people that can make an association with a wooden spoon, I even can - it’s a freeroll for them, because when wrong, they are rarely confronted

2 Likes

i aware of the trick, but a wood spoon?
i guess so, just seems like a long shot.

big bang, to the human brain, to your consciousness

I can also tie a wood spoon in two different ways to two different grandparents. It was a pretty common kitchen utensil for that age range in the 60s-80s, and was often used as a discipline whack by both grandmothers and grandfathers around then.

3 Likes

Also, this could totally be a case of “we as humans are really shit at remembering things we have said and done.”

Its highly likely it was brought up at some point in the “psychic”'s presence (even if just in passing) and was filed away for later. Has she ever noticed that this claimed psychic has taken particular interest in stories about her family at any point in the past?

1 Like

My mom used to either hit us with a wooden spoon or threaten to, can’t remember which. I think it was just the threat. Maybe a psychic doctor could tell me? Or Elizabeth Loftus.

2 Likes

A cougar in a bar once guessed my exact birthday when I challenged her to do it. To this day I can’t figure out how she did it, unless she saw my license somehow, which seems impossible, I really don’t think she did, and I think she just binked the one out of 365.

1 Like

Super common technique called cold reading.

https://twitter.com/JulieS9164/status/1559716443524038657

Katha Pollitt on Rushdie and disagreeing with religion:

The idea that religion should be protected from disagreement— that ’s the problem. Why should the holdings of any faith be beyond critique, satire, even mockery? Religion is not a hereditary trait. It’s a set of ideas and behaviors and social practices. Those can be changed, and have been repeatedly throughout history. Blasphemy is part of that process, because it encourages questioning and independence of spirit and resistance to obscurantism and unjust authority. We progressives are supposed to take a side. Galileo or the Inquisition? Rushdie or the ayatollahs?

From here.

3 Likes

if blasphemy is part of the deal, so is obscurantism. it’s obscure. believe it!

not in a way foreseen by man.

the men depicted in that scene, fools right? what do you guys derive from your derision? not much

https://twitter.com/AlexiLalas/status/1572943931628982274