GOAT TV Theme Songs: Bracket Set (Post 1228), Finals: Jeffersons vs. Mssion: Impossible

And…we’re back in the slums with this group for the most part.

Let’s turn around this slow start by Muppet Babies. Of the animated Disney series of that era, Goof Troop clearly ran last after all of Chip n Dale, Duck Tales, Darkwing Duck, and Tale Spin. It’s fine, but it was the weak spot of that era. Meanwhile, Muppet Babies is a pretty great theme.

3 Likes

This one was hard for me, but the rhythm of that Goof Troop theme can’t be beaten.

Need a Bastard! option here.

1 Like

Legitimately shocked at people voting for fucking Bonanza over RBW.

1 Like

(unless it’s up against every other Disney series of its time, in which case it can)

1 Like

I’m glad we don’t appear to be doing the “pretend this awesome AMC series had an awesome theme” thing again.

1 Like

That may be so, but it still beat Muppet Babies. I’m not even hating on MB. It just doesn’t have the same sway to its hips.

The last block definitely seemed to be the strongest so far, and it had some of the most contentious match ups. This block, for me, is definitely the weakest so far, and even the battles between weak themes seem pretty lopsided.

• Little Einsteins is clearly just for the littlest kids who watch too much YouTube while their parents need a break. Get Smart is fine, but it drew a lucky matchup.
  • Same with Muppet Babies, except it’s not quite as popular with current little kids. It’s targeting is just too young. I don’t love Goof Troop, but it’s taking out something with little broad appeal.
  • Fraggle Rock doesn’t resonate with me the same way Matlock does, especially since the latter was my jam when home sick from school.
  • I never watched either of these shows, so I guess I prefer San Francisco. I’m not too surprised that people who liked Knight Rider as a show are going that way, though.
  • Seems pretty obvious to me that the Sweet 16 entry coming out of this block is either Addams Family or Bonanza.
  • Didn’t like Buffy, but Family Ties is far worse.
  • Raised by Wolves doesn’t resonate with me at all, although I haven’t seen the show. Still, Bonanza is a classic.
  • I don’t love Chip 'n Dale all that much, but Crypt is hardly a theme. It’s a riff and cliche spooky sound effects.
1 Like

If there has been one negative with this bracket is that it has reminded me of Little Einsteins existence. Good god have I heard that theme way too many times. I thought I had that memory repressed.

2 Likes

I like the Buffy theme a fair amount. It’s sacrificing some equity by having a video that doesn’t include the opening credits, but that’s appropriate. Family Ties theme is basically just the answer to “what if the Growing Pains theme was worse?”

1 Like

I really like that short-but-sweet style of opening theme. In the era of streaming and binging I won’t skip these short themes as they set the mood without eating up two minutes of my time just to hear it again in 22 to 48 minutes.

The Adams family is too good though.

1 Like

Matlock goes way harder than I remember.

Darkhorse imo

1 Like

yeah forgot how good matlock was, that shit slaps

that fucking ending is chef’s kiss, goddamn whistle

2 Likes

jesus merv griffin was still on tv in 1985?

1 Like

It would be nice if I could get through a block without every youtube clip I’ve watched this viewing session starting up at once and playing again a few minutes in…

3 Likes

I’ve never heard of Streets of San Francisco, but the theme was surprisingly good. Not enough to take down Knight Rider, though.

• Never heard the Little Einsteins theme and after 5 seconds, I never need to hear it again. My condolences to those of you who are subjected to this frequently.
  • I remember both Goof Troop and Muppet Babies being better. They’re both fine. Muppet Babies, I guess.
  • Love the Fraggle Rock theme. Matlock is great too. Brutal first round matchup.
  • Knight Rider is great. Streets of SF starts off with just too much [INSERT NOISES HERE] for me to enjoy it.
  • Addams Family easily.
  • Family Ties theme is awful. Jesus.
  • Bonanza. Next.
  • Rescue Rangers would be one of my picks to make a deep run, but it’s got some tough matches on the horizon.

Overall, a noticeable decrease in quality compared to last block, but there’s some greatness in here.

2 Likes

Was hoping that Raised by Wolves would be this:

1 Like

I’m not sure I would have voted for Family Ties theme even if it had been up against someone farting for 90 seconds

2 Likes

MAT L COK

4 Likes