#11 Hymn to the Sea (Titanic) vs. #86 Psycho theme
  • #11 Hymn to the Sea (Titanic).

• #86 Psycho theme

0 voters

1 Like

Dear Everyone,
Get serious.

3 Likes

Tough bracket. Every single one was a hard choice for me, even O Brother vs James Bond.

Edit: I think the winner is in this group, but I’m not sure which of the two it will be.

1 Like

Seriously. 2001,while an effective theme, isn’t an original movie theme.

1 Like

Lawrence of Arabia is a banger too. The other 2001 wins were also bad just because of it being an edge case at best to be included at all, but now “I see your point, but I want what I want” is continuing its warpath and squashing a great theme.

1 Like

I am not paying very close attention to the discussion so it is news to me that 2001 is not original. Provide receipts and you’ll have a changed vote!

Its publication and first live performance pre-dated 2001 by over 70 years. The composer was dead well before it started being used in a movie.

Yeah but it’s the 2001 theme to everyone but classical music fans over 80.

1 Like

It’s not an original composition for a movie. It didn’t so much as have the composer’s blessing, let alone his composition efforts for movie purposes. It was a non-original work that Kubrick et al co-opted. There isn’t a “yeah but.”

Yeah but no one knows any of that. It’s as iconic to its movie as the Jaws theme or Halloween theme.

It’s like how technically a tomato is a fruit, but for all intents and purposes, it’s a vegetable.

1 Like

Thread title is “GOAT Movie Themes” not “GOAT Original Movie Themes”.

1 Like

I’m relatively sure that someone knows that and maybe even posted a link as a receipt to ensure that more people know that. Would it be better if I tried to convince you that Tobey Maguire was involved in it in some way?

Each person can decide how important originality is to their own process. As with the TV theme bracket I will personally heavily favorite original themes.

Tobey Maguire is probably the celebrity face of the anti-2001 theme movement. It would be totally on brand.

Fair enough, but the opening scene in 2001 is iconic whether the music is original or not.

I look forward to the best opening scene bracket!

In the south this is Ric Flair’s entrance song, not 2001 or classical music.