Forum categories

Bumping

I’m not sure I ever stepped foot in POG so I defer to people who know how all this works, but I think the Walrus stuff, name a senator thunderdome, food face off thread, celebrity death pool, can go into a separate category or a sub off chitchat if that’s not a pain in the ass. If making a category is by far easier, I don’t see a reason not to start with that.

Was just in the middle of replying to that post in the other thread. Might as well put it here instead.

Never been a fan of tags, but would find a way to tolerate them if there was a compelling case for their use.

Having a Games forum as a subcategory wouldn’t solve anything since they’d all still get listed in the parent category. Completely separate category makes more sense. Game-specific sub-categories could be done as well in lieu of tags. Not sure if that makes sense or not. Haven’t thought it through.

Whatever ends up happening, if game volume gets (stays?) high I’d be in favor of suppressing them from Latest one way or another. I don’t think the default view of the forum should be overwhelmed with non-politics stuff. We’d have a couple different options for achomlishing that.

Addendum to the above:

I don’t look at Latest very often since my default view is Categories, but whenever I do it doesn’t seem overly dominated by non-politics stuff.

We wouldn’t even need to do anything that involved. There’s already a setting to have categories be muted by default (how BBV is now), and a plugin which surpresses categories from Latest even if they aren’t muted (this actually restores old functionality and is how BBV used to work).

That’s because it’s been unmuted for you. Default is muted. If you log out it’s not there.

I thought it was just la barrière de la langue.

SMP
the moon is flat
imho