Fishing

I’ve been crab fishing off the pier near my house for about week. Have not had any keepers yet but others have and I am not giving up. Seems that the entire Truant fam enjoys being out there even when it is cold, dark, and rainy. PLUS, my 8yo daughter is starting to eat less meat on her way to vegetarian and I want to follow suit. Fish, prawns and crab we catch ourselves will help and I want to encourage her and follow her lead on cutting my chicken and turkey consumption down or out. There is a shit ton of fishing to be done around me.

Ms.T is all about it also, so we got two inexpensive but highly rated beginner setups to start fishing off the pier and catch some flounder and stuff. I don’t know shit about fishing really, although I did a prawn and shrimp season commercially in my 20s.

Anyone here have advice for a n00b or stories to share about fishing?

3 Likes

I was never able to understand how fishing and hunting are enjoyable experiences to people. Otoh anything that your kids enjoy doing with you is a big plus. I’d do smack with my son if he asks to do it together.

6 Likes

I know fresh water Minnesota fishing and ice fishing pretty well. I’m a noob fly fisherman and have only fished in the ocean once when 15 or so.

1 Like

Are there clam beds nearby with larger clams you can use for bait? I’ve always used salmon carcasses or clams for bait. Clams worked best—smash a couple open and drop it. It helps to be in deeper water to target dungeness, so a kayak or something would help there. You’re going to get red rock crabs in shallow water. Edible, but I throw them back. Here’s my crab boat:

2 Likes

I was brought up doing hunting and fishing. Fishing was my favourite and some of my fondest memories of my dad are going fishing and crabbing with him.

2 Likes

Although we call it shooting not hunting. Well at least my family did.

Fishing is great but I only go once a year. I like to use a bobber. Few things as satisfying and exciting as watching that fucker drop. It’s usually a small blue gill or crappie on the other end, but it could be literally anything!!!1!1

4 Likes

I go razor clamming a few times a year. Last year we went on a crappy tide and came up 6 short of limits. Walked back to the car and the couple next to us was getting checked by a fish and wildlife officer. They were over the limit by 10 clams and got a $330 fine. The officer confiscated the 10 extras and came over and gave us 6. Been going since 2004 and it’s the first time I’ve seen any enforcement out there. Pro tip: know the rules.

2 Likes

Never been clamming or lobster fishing but walleye and perch are my favs for eating that aren’t crustaceans. Don’t @ me.

I’m kind of hoping we continue to enjoy it and graduate into some kayak fishing. Crabbing is clearly better out further and there are ling cod, red snapper and salmon in the area. Plus to drop a prawn trap you have to be out about 250-300 depth.

2 Likes

Murdering things is fun.

Murdering things and then eating them is LOTS of fun.

1 Like

My main fishing atm is carp fishing and then I use them in my garden beds. One day I have promised myself I’ll try and cook with them. It’s a winning formula for fishing because they’re a huge pest here and once you find a good spot you KNOW that you will catch something and they put up a bit of a fight which is fun. You can also just use hand reels which is good stuff.

But when I join the army to do so people are all like cannibalism is wrong :(

4 Likes

My friends are into this bigly. I don’t think I like catfish or maybe i’d try it.

1 Like

My buddy with face out.

2 Likes

You’re just in the wrong army.

I did serve in the army and my job was to pick songs for the army radio station. True story

2 Likes

Noodling is so freaking cool

1 Like

I hate bullheads from being stung by them and then also catfish by extension. Noodling is cool af though still.

@BestOf