End of Year / New Years Resolutions

Yeah, that definitely isn’t going to cut it for what I have in mind.

Honestly I haven’t had to learn much I didn’t already know 25 years ago, and I don’t think administering the 5th(?) most widely used forum software is a very high demand field.

Nope, and not knowing anybody is definitely my biggest weakness when it comes to earning an income. I’ve spent the past decade burning bridges like a Russian army in retreat and been very diligent about never staying in touch with anybody. It’s problem.

1 Like

I’m looking for freedom of movement. If I’m going to be tied to one location I’ll just keep doing some variation of what I’m already doing.

I am a residential contractor. I build decks and remodel kitchens and sometimes I get to dig big holes with a backhoe and destroy people’s yards. It’s not a career with a lot of telecommuting options.

1 Like

Excavator is a perfectly normal word to use here. Actually, I don’t even know the difference between a backhoe and an excavator.

lol anyone on this board who can string together 2 words could learn to code and make $30/hour to start within 6-12 months.

1 Like

Zz wants freedom. I doubt chasing remote jobs and contract work for $30/HR would do that. $60/HR maybe.

$30 would work for me in my van though.

Fair enough. Better than um retail I guess.

A backhoe is an excavator and loader combined in one vehicle.

1 Like

I would like to know how to do this.

1 Like

If you’re serious (i.e. motivated) come to the programming thread and people will give you advice. You’ll have to spend serious time learning the basics of things and how the basics of how to learn things. I “taught myself” programming ~8 years ago and now have a ridiculously high paying job as a “lead developer” with no college degree and almost 10 years of grinding poker before that.

5 Likes

You say no degree. Did you attend a boot camp or anything equivalent, or was this all done with free online learning materials/books?

My only solution is “better time management” and I think the rest should fall in place.
In 2019 I managed to roughly stick to 2-3 times running and 2 bodyweight workouts during the week. I cancelled my gym membership when I read a little about exercises and most machines are just not good for training. Unfortunately using dumbbells or barbells would also require a gym instructor who has actually an interest in what his members are doing but he has none so I dont want to waste that money each month.
I also started the year eating healthier and losing weight through intermittent fasting but at some point I just let it slide too much. At our offices there are always sweets laying around and when I am annoyed I just cant skip them.
But the crucial part is wasting too much time. After work just relaxing a little which consumes too much or when I want to go to bed I have a habit of watching yt vids which leads from one vid to the next and I end up going later to bed than I want which leads to being tired in the morning and fucking up the next day as well. There is just no excuse why I shouldn’t have the time for 1-2 language lessons on my babbel subscription and watching a RYE vid. Thats combined 30-40 minutes at most.
I probably start the year by watching this again and it usually works:

4 Likes

All online/self learning, no courses no bootcamp just grinding out the basics of webdev until I could make something and put it online and did a few low/no paying jobs for local people and got my first $30/hour contract job. Started with https://www.codecademy.com/ no idea if they’re still any good.

2 Likes

So I’m gonna end up as a janitor living in the basement?

1 Like

Thanks man. Once you had the basics down, where did you go to find freelance?

1 Like

Any metro area will have tons of 3rd party recruiters (Robert Half etc) with tons of short and long term contracts they can’t find enough competent people for.

I’m doing stuff in woocommerce now and when I’m decent at it I may look for contract work. I might look at Shopify too, but I already have a fair amount of experience with PHP so woocommerce/WordPress seemed like an easier place to start.

It may be that zz has burned too many bridges or lacks confidence or imagination, but his skill set is worth way more than $60/HR. Something that touches on IT/web/programming would be good but some tie-in to his real world experience would be a lot better than starting at square one as a webdev at 50.

1 Like

Great video, thanks. What are RYE vids?

raise your edge, its a poker course from bencb. Think I bought it 2 years ago but never finished it because I always get super quick super tired watching poker training vids but now bencb devided every video into 15min segments which is much better for me.

2 Likes