Elon Musk: Dork MAGA

Math aint mathing. The cybertruck takes 45 minutes to go from 11 to 80%. It has a tested range of 334 miles per charge. 70% of that is 233.8 miles per 45 minutes of charging. 48 hour of charging = 14963.2 miles.

I think the real world numbers aren’t that high on its range, at least based on what they were saying. I will see if I can find the tiktok.

The 334 was the Edmunds certified range, but think about it this way. How long is a cross country trip? 3000? 4000 miles if you take a weird route? I haven’t seen anyone reporting less than 300 miles really. Yet for 48 hours of charging to be a thing, you’d be at like… 80 miles of range? Nah.

A couple caveats I guess. If he did the math assuming every charge to full, then maybe. To maintain battery health the charging slows down once the battery is at 80%. If you do the math on going to 100% every time then maybe yeah, it can be that long. But no sane driver would do that.

Or if you’re not using Tesla superchargers or any otherwise fast charging setup. Like if you’re plugging into a 120 or 240V outlet, then I guess it could be that long. But the types of public chargers you’d use on a road trip will be much much faster than that.

In best case scenarios, right?

Are the best chargers really available cross country at good enough intervals?

Like my understanding is that EVs put out a number for 10 to 80%, but say if that number is 15 minutes, in the real world it can be 10 hours

Right now it’s non-trivial to take a long trip by EV, you can’t just get in your car and go. You have to have a charging plan. I assume there are tools on-line that make it easy to do, but it is still an extra step over ICE trips. I’m hoping it becomes easier for renters to use plug in EVs either through faster charging at local stations or better support at multi-family homes.

The Tesla supercharger network is actually very impressive. You are never out of range of one. They are pretty much everywhere. They all charge very fast. For a model 3 it’s like 15 minutes for 200 miles of range.

There are non Tesla owned chargers as well that are also good. It does take a bit of planning to make a long trip, for sure. But honestly when driving that long I and a lot of people often plan out rest stops anyways, it’s not that much harder to add ev charging to the plan.

3 Likes

Wut

This is just completely false, at least as far as Teslas go. Car routes everything for you instantly, including charging stops.

ETA: with other brands adopting NACS (Tesla charging), I’m sure they will also follow suit with in car auto routing. I’ll concede that a long trip currently probably takes a little more planning in non-Tesla EVs.

3 Likes

Navigation is so 20th century

Maybe non-trivial was the wrong word. If I want to drive from Denver to Seattle in my ICE car I don’t have to choose my route based on anything other than driving time. I don’t have to consider which car I have or what software to use to plan the trip. It is probably given too much weight by people when choosing a new car, particularly if they don’t make a lot of cross country trips. I’m not saying it is a difficult skill to pick up, just that it is a point of friction for people buying EVs.

This is the one big advantage Tesla has over other brands, they’ve done a really good job of building out the SuperCharger network to make cross country trips easy. Other cars have to rely on a hodge-podge of charging networks with various charging speeds and posibbly broken chargers when you get to them. I have EVgo credits for buying my car so I charge at a local Safeway when I shop there because just because it’s faster than charging at home and yesterday I had to try 3 different stalls before I got one that worked for my car. The irony there is the charger Teslas can use was working at all 3 stalls, so even outside their network they seemingly get priority.

Unless you live somewhere very rural, i would think that a 16 year old’s car would just need oil changes based on the time interval.

This what we do if its a reasonable trip (200+), which we do every now and again. But for the most part day to day driving we only plug it in when its gets to around 100 miles which is maybe every few days. When we originally decided on an EV range anxiety was a legit concern but 5 years later I wouldn’t have any issue with anything which had a full charge of around 250/300 which I think they all virtually have now.

1 Like

Need to work on your Tesla?

https://x.com/theliamnissan/status/1792592207876087891

5 Likes

Actually, I never understood why “tool” is used as a derogatory term. Tools are great; they are very useful. None of us would be where we are without tools. :transmet_smiley:

1 Like

Probably comes from “tool” being used to refer to a penis.

…but penises are also great! All the above applies to them, too!

1 Like

Nah, it comes from someone not being able to offer intelligent thought. They are just a tool to be utilized by those who pull the strings.

…so who pulls the strings on Musk?

I’m saying where it came from, not how it’s used.