Election Night Tech Stuff

Reminds me of

1 Like

When I was 4 our house had a light switch that didn’t work next to a door that didn’t open. Freaked me out as a kid wondering what was going on behind that door.

Yeah, it’s this MX:

If you push straight down on the thumb rest it triggers the function, but only if you do it exactly in the middle. There’s no way anybody is finding that thing except by accident. I only found it by clumsily mousing southpaw.

I definitely never used that but I do remember noticing it. It shows up in the logitech software:

I’ve owned 7 or 8 Revolution MXs and Performance MXs.

Nerds.

Zikzak on election night:

4 Likes

Is there a reason why I can’t find the first POTUS BOWL thread anywhere? I was thinking about pulling up some old material for gameday, but I can’t find it anywhere.

But that’s the new one, not the old locked one. I want the old one.

1 Like

It’s in quarantine. I’ve just opened that category to all staff so you should be able to get to it now.

It is my intention to be increasingly agressive about temporarily hiding threads over the next 24 hours.

1 Like

So my forum experience was pretty much okay all things considered. Got the logged out message a few times but was able to jump straight back in to the Smackdown thread with no problem.

Anyway, when it makes sense it would be fun to see some sick server load giraffes so we can vicariously experience what @zikzak was experiencing tonight.

Big ups to @zikzak and @anon46587892, along with anyone else who plays a role, for providing us a home for this effed up rollercoaster ride.

15 Likes

I was scrolling quickly through the election thread and something popped up that I had flagged a Grue post. I didn’t even read the post let alone flag it so apologies for that.

1 Like

When the purple line goes above 7 people start getting the logout message.
When the green line goes above 7 the forum grinds to a halt.
When the blue line gets near 7 the entire system becomes unresponsive and stats don’t even update.

On a normal day we rarely exceed 2 even at peak traffic.

8 Likes

Thanks zikzak good job!

6 Likes

Have you restored all of the threads? I think some are still missing like the POTUS bowl maybe.

No. I’ve restored all of Sports and Chitchat, and everything in Politics that’s been active in the past 2 months, but nothing older and none of the closed 10k mega-topics.

The latter put the most load on the server since a single view by just one person pulls a lot of data into memory. I’d like to keep them inaccessible for at least the next couple days.

We still have heavy traffic and I expect that to be the situation for as long as this shitshow lasts. Sporadic logouts will probably continue to be a thing as we ride the news cycle swongs. But I think we’ve already seen the worst of it and shouldn’t have anything more significant than that.

5 Likes

is the LC thread deleted???

Appreciate the work you do zikzak

3 Likes

Unless you meant one in Sundry Chitchat.

It’s all low content. We are sweating dumps of 12 fucking ballots!