Douchebag 2.0—an Elon Musk company

By coincidence, my Tesla downloaded a software update last night, and now my car warns me when it detects a stop sign or traffic light, and will stop the car if it thinks I’m going to run one.

In my view, the talk of batteries obscures what I see as Tesla’s real competitive advantage, which is AI. I don’t believe that real self-driving is just around the corner, but there are huge safety advantages to having an always-alert backup driver to keep you from missing a light change or making an unsafe lane change or whatever. Even if the AI is not a safer driver than you on its own, you driving with an AI there to take emergency action when it senses an impending accident has to be much safer. But from a competitive perspective, modern machine learning is all built around training data, where Tesla has an infinite, unassailable advantage. They have a million testbeds driving around collecting data and road-testing their features and they get paid for the privilege of deploying them. Google and Uber can never have that.

Has there been any forward momentum on having the government design roads, signs, etc with AI in mind? I know there’s some coordinating group between the autonomous car makers and the government but my naive understanding was it was a one way street.

That is “Mr. Science Nerd”

But Toyota could, at any moment, have like 20x the data right?

Uber is mostly fraud. I know this because of the quality of product they’ve put out in my own industry and literally every other thing they’ve ever done that I’ve interacted with.

Google on the other hand… I would never make assumptions about their data collection operation and its capabilities. I also wouldn’t ever put them in the same sentence as Uber. It’s not an accident that Uber stole their tech.

People actually believe Musk’s AI bullshit patter? After everything he’s told you?

3 Likes

They could simply turn on the suite of cameras and radar installed in every Corolla, process it through the onboard computers, activate the built-in cell radios, and then beam it back to headquarters. Done!

1 Like

I don’t think anyone (here) believes Musk’s AI patter. Personally, though, I value the AI-assisted driving features in my Tesla and think it would be hard for a competitor to replicate them.

1 Like

Then they have to analyze that data and that isn’t Toyota’s forte but it is Google’s.

"Wow! A gun!" from r/wallstreetbets

Also Google is VERY far along on the self driving cars thing… and partnered with more than one major car company. I have no idea what kind of data sources they have, but if you’re betting on Tesla to be ahead of them I think you’re probably not betting the favorite. Yes Tesla has a lot of data coming in, but nobody ITT has any idea what data sources Google has. What we do know is that the Waymo self driving cars they are demoing are basically fully autonomous and requiring nearly no human interventions.

If we’re going to talk about data collection I don’t think it’s wise to bet against the people who own gmail, youtube, google maps, and lol android… who also don’t need the project to make money anytime soon because they make 120B a year off of adsense and as a result have the infinite money cheat toggled on.

LOL musk

https://twitter.com/ad_inifinitum/status/1257322984265486336?s=21

1 Like

More like lol at the person being so obsessed he scoured Musk’s liked tweets to find and record that

Maybe you don’t use twitter but there are times where tweets that people liked show up on your timeline if you follow the person that liked it

But let’s say your guess of how it was found was right-

On the one hand you find it lol worthy that people look thru Elon’s twitter, a place where his tweet caused him to step down as chairman of his company and draw attention from SEC investigators

On the other hand I find it lol worthy that tech billionaire “genius” is liking a Q-Anon quack jobs and tweet with #redpill in it

Yeah man the person looking thru his twitter is the one we should be laughing at…

4 Likes

Good for him he works very hard

1 Like

This country is so broken.

2 Likes

https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/1257550522132787200

4 Likes

bobman was being a smartass pointing out that every Tesla has all the stuff he listed while Toyota would need to start installing the sensors and cameras in every car going forward to even begin collecting data.

Was he? I think it was a pretty solid point. Teslas are out there gathering an insane amount of information and they are actually learning from it. They send updates and the cars are continually getting better at self-driving and who knows what else. I don’t know if Bob will continue to celebrate all of this after his car becomes sentient and enslaves him (more that it already has).

2 Likes

https://twitter.com/SkyNews/status/1257594058517684225
https://twitter.com/Vocare88/status/1257609363902148609
https://twitter.com/bulno_saur/status/1257663310532694016

8 Likes

Seriously doubt either company is lacking in data sets to train their AI on so that is not going to make the difference. Google has exactly the amount of data it thinks it needs otherwise it would be trivial for them to just put more cars on the road to collect additional data. Most data a random Tesla collects on a random road is useless anyway.