Douchebag 2.0—an Elon Musk company

Dude was using a chainsaw in flip flops?

You underestimate the ineptitude of normal people. See the posts about someone using a chainsaw in flip flops.

As a host, my concern would be taking a ridiculous liability instructing guests to do work in the (pretty likely) scenario they hurt themselves. The depositions would just be brutal. “Did you ask if the guest was trained in using the equipment? Did you ask if they had proper PPE? Did you offer to hire a contractor and the guest refused?” Just on and on with extremely incriminating shit.

Then again I work in construction and everything is basically a series of things going wrong. Hopefully they only go a little wrong and not horrible wrong. So maybe my perspective is a little different.

I wouldn’t sue the friends who had us over regardless of what happened. We were friends of theirs and one of the most severe non Winter storms in the history of that area happened to roll through so we banded together to try and make it back to civilization.

Yeah, totally different situation when friends are letting you stay over versus renting on VRBO or whatever. That’s what I assumed was happening. Changes the liability massively too.

Classic. … I cleared the road and land for a small cabin, so have taken down quite a few small to medium sized trees, and a few a bit larger. After the cabin was installed, a small nearby birch obviously grew and started to hang over the structure. It leaned hard …

My brother and I tried to use the same method … this tree wasn’t huge, so we figured if we cut it to fall away and pulled it back, we could fell it nowhere near the cabin … Anyway, of course we laid it down right on top of the roof. We thought we could manage it with the rope but likely never had a chance … Moral of the story is cutting down trees is easy but making them fall where you want is some kind of bushcraft art

2 Likes

It’s 1994. A 22 year old Clovis is running an archaeological dig which is over 4 meters deep (13 feet) so the walls need to be supported. While building said shoring a brilliant Clovis (already holding a masters degree) happily balances back and fourth across the wood beams while wielding a running chainsaw as he gleefully builds the support structure.

Ah the immunity of youth!

3 Likes

yeah I have to admit I’ve used a chainsaw in flip flops

it’s hard to understate how big of a legend you could potentially become

Could be GOP insanity but the douchebag thread seems appropriate.

https://twitter.com/SchottHappens/status/1612306162627805185?t=C5wSy6UjUrTLar6pa7yGaQ&s=19

Can someone explain the semantic origin of “based” to me? I remember “based stick man”. But what did “based” originally mean in that context?

This confused some of Rogers’s followers, and thrilled the rest. “Based,” an old term usually traced to 1980s cocaine slang, was resurrected by rapper Lil B to mean “not being scared of what people think about you” and “not being afraid to do what you want to do.” Donald Trump’s online supporters adopted the term during his 2016 campaign, describing a candidate who not only said what they were thinking, but what they were told it was impolite to think.

It’s not complicated, so long as you ignore the usual liberal and conservative labels and view political debate through two frames — “based” or “cringe.” Based means behaving how you want to behave, confident in the belief that you’re right, and that your opposition knows it. Cringe means following rules that you did not write, hewing to norms and tradition and nuance, and broadcasting your own sensitivity to the feelings of others. The cringe politician assumes that the world is changing and he or she had better get ahead of it; the based politician assumes that he or she can stay in the old world and force everyone else to adapt. Nobody claims to be cringe, but plenty of people claim to be based. Part of the fun of declaring yourself being based is getting to label the other side as weak, wrong and pathetic — and, well, cringe.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/2021/07/13/trailer-based-or-cringe-new-way-explaining-same-old-political-brawls/

4 Likes

Ok so it came from freebase somehow.

That is weird, wild stuff. I did not know that!

1 Like

Nobody more based than Richard Pryor.

1 Like

Maybe this guy.

2 Likes

I mean in the current political sense.

Dude seems to qualify.

1 Like

Cringe article

1 Like

So Trump and Bernie are both “based” then?

And Rob Ford and Marion Barry - in every sense.