Douchebag 2.0—an Elon Musk company

Some Chiefsplanet dude called his lib friend an NPC. I had to look it up. Still not sure I have the full meaning as intended.

It’s like when they called people soy boys for a year or two

I feel like it showed up right around the time they finally realized that calling everyone they don’t like a cuck was a bit revealing.

“We’re all waiting tables in someone else’s cafe”

Even you Elon

NPC <>Non-Player Character?

Yeah

9 Likes

That’s HARDCORE.

6 Likes

it’s like a nerdier way to call someone a sheep i guess… and somehow makes less sense. especially elon’s comment. calling some random account on twitter an npc is one thing but saying “you might be an npc” is really nonsensical.

I assumed a person as an NPC would be like somebody who didn’t matter. Not really a part of the story.

7 Likes

We are all NPC really. Just born work die who cares.

7 Likes

That’s exactly what they are, usually generic characters in a game that repeat the same handful of phrases like “I used to be an adventurer like you, then I took an arrow in the knee”

I think this is the key to the usage of NPC as an internet insult. It’s someone whose responses are scripted and repetitive, who can’t even think about what they are saying because they have no inner monologue.

2 Likes

I think he is using it stronger than that. We are all nobodies. The world is about him, not us.

5 Likes

Yeah, it’s this exactly. It’s pure, uncut sociopathic narcissism where the person views themselves as the only actual person in the story and everyone else exists solely in relation to the sociopath’s personal hero journey.

3 Likes

Yeah but all of y’all are extras in the movie of my life

(Writing credit to nick hornby)

1 Like

I don’t think so in this particular instance. He specifically brought up the idea of if you’ve never wondered if you might be an NPC.

Basically saying if you’re not capable of internal dialog/reflection.

1 Like

I’ve always wanted to be in a disaster movie!

2 Likes

If you get in a discussion with them it’s always the same buzzwords and hackneyed arguments. They’re the kind of people who make a show of discomfort when you break the status quo like by breaking the normie barrier to invoke a real discussion. it’s like in a [video game] when you accidentally talk to somebody twice and they give you the exact lines word for word once more.

— Anonymous, “Are you an NPC?”, 4chan (July 7, 2016)

1 Like

Well anything that starts on 4chan always turns out well.

6 Likes