Douchebag 2.0—an Elon Musk company

I think you’re probably right about the circumstances of his departure, and certainly right that this is a bad indicator for where FSD is now. But while I’m sure Karpathy is brilliant and talented, “guy in charge of a mission-critical project that’s stuck in the mud” seems like a prime firing candidate, no?

From what I’ve seen, the CV side of FSD works just fine–the big problems are on the decision-making side. AK gave a talk a couple years ago where, IIRC, he was talking about how they were using the fleet’s cameras to collect hard-to-label images and beam them back to be hand-labeled and used for training. That’s all well and good, but I suspect that, strategically, it’s going to be better to focus on using human drivers to drive supervised learning of the policy network. That’s the reason to go vision-only in the first place (to economically deploy a fleet with production-level FSD sensors so you can start generating training data at scale). Perhaps there was a strategic disagreement about focusing on fine-tuning the vision/sensor-fusion aspects vs locking down the sensors and modelling to focus on the policy side? :man_shrugging:

One thought I had this morning is that high-profile fatal crashes are probably way more likely to be CV glitches at freeway speeds, while policy weakness is likely to manifest as excessive caution. E.g., if that recent crash in Florida ends up being the fault of FSD, it’s likely that the computer confused the off-ramp for the freeway, then didn’t register the truck the car ran into because it was, in the computer’s mind, parked in the middle of a freeway lane. So it’s a genuinely tough call where to focus.

Not so!

I hadn’t seen the Florida crash but it looks very much like a CV error, there have been a number of other crashes like that. When you say the CV side works just fine, of course it has gotten good at classifying images. It has to be amazing at that, since that’s the whole way it proposes to work. There are two issues with the CV approach:

• A single misclassification at speed, especially of a novel object, could be catastrophic and could lead the car to make fatally wrong assessments of depth. It seems like this is what is going on with Teslas crashing headlong into large solid objects. A LIDAR-based approach is not going to make these mistakes. Even if it can’t figure out what an object is, it is always going to know that it is approaching a solid object.

• Classification of single objects and classification of many overlapping, moving objects are very different challenges. I agree that the Reddit guy’s account of extreme hesitancy from FSD driving in Manhattan could be policy weakness, but it could also be the car unable to discern individual pedestrians in a moving crowd on the sidewalk. From what I’ve seen driving in my friend’s Tesla I couldn’t guess at which it is.

Obviously the latter is a big challenge for any FSD system, not just a 100% CV-based system. But that’s the thing, FSD is a huge challenge and I am very skeptical that you are going to succeed by ignoring a huge source of data. Bats navigate their way through very complex 3D spaces (solid objects, other bats, prey) with echolocation, so it’s clearly a viable way to do it. Basically I think that we are faced with too difficult a problem for it not to require all the tools at our disposal.

The thing about Tesla’s claims that CV-based FSD is going just great, guys, is that the survival of the company is predicated on it working. Switching to an approach which includes LIDAR is simply not on the table for them. Like if you knew nothing about autonomous vehicles and I simply gave you the information “people are trying to solve a difficult problem, there are approaches A and B, there’s an existing company that are unable to choose B so they’re going with A while every single other player in the field has opted for B even though it’s more expensive” you can draw the correct conclusion from that, i.e. that A is inferior and likely not going to work.

By the way, I hadn’t seen that Tesla quietly filed with the FCC to add a front-facing radar back into future cars:

Again, I think the conclusions to be drawn from this are pretty obvious.

2 Likes

I just think the problem is too hard right now. While they are solving more problems and cases, each next problem is exponentially harder.

Additionally. People will view deaths from a self driving car differently.

Consider.

It is known that 1 time in 100 driving years the car will encounter an unsolved problem and and pancake you under a truck at highway speed.

Vs

Human driving mistakes are a leading cause of death. 1 time in 100 driving years a driver will make a mistake and have a fatal accident.

Which one is acceptable?

holy hell, it runs in the family

https://twitter.com/PopBase/status/1547662389134233601?s=20&t=pO7McyjE9XOfvcacaVSQ2Q

also…ewww?

I play a lot of Crusader Kings and even I think that’s gross.

8 Likes

Clearly not playing it the right way then.

1 Like

He should marry off his stepdaughter to the house of DeSantis to form an alliance, idk why he’s making useless children with her.

4 Likes

This is gross because it’s just incest for it’s own sake.

Producing pureblooded offspring with your great granddaughter-granddaughter-daughter-sister-wife is for the good of the dynasty and realm.

3 Likes

As long as the house of Musk isn’t gavelkind, there’s no harm in more claimants to the titular kingdom of Dives Douche Sacculi.

How do they force anyone to buy anything under contract?

Hopefully they hire someone to kick him in the dick once every 17 minutes until he buys it. That’s what I’d do.

4 Likes
1 Like

Dogshit journalism

Mr. Musk’s side became concerned about Twitter’s user numbers after the company announced revisions in its first quarter earnings in April, when it said it had overstated its user base for nearly three years through the end of 2021 due to an error in how it accounted for people linked to multiple accounts. The revision reduced the number of monetizable daily active users by 0.9% for the fourth quarter of last year.

JLawOk

Very normal behavior putting a failed poker pro pothead in charge of billions of dollars.

2 Likes

became a top Musk adviser on giving his fortune away

Well, if I somehow needed help getting rid of my money, a pro gambler is who I’m going with.

4 Likes

It worked perfectly at Full Tilt.

Didn’t read the article but massive lol calling him a failed pro. He has like $18m winnings.

Just looked. He is 40th all time.

2 Likes

Lol donkaments

1 Like

Mr. Musk’s personal foundation gave away $23.6 million in fiscal 2020, the most recent year for which data is available, filings show. That represented roughly 0.02% of his net worth as of the end of that year, according to Forbes rankings.