Donald J Trump: Rip Van Winkle edition

For the unambitious maybe. It’s boring af honestly

Not sure if we’re cross talking or not. I for one, was alarmed to learn how much of our democracy and freedom relied on norms and not laws

The historic mid-terms were a pretty big rebuke to cynicism. There is at least a sliver of moderate Republicans in some states who have some limit to what they’ll vote for. It doesn’t seem like much, but right now it’s enough to tip elections and have a massive impact. I think the debt ceiling shenanigans are 100x worse if Rs didn’t get their wings clipped in the mid-terms.

6 Likes

The standard rule is you can only appeal a guilty verdict and not a not-guilty one. I don’t believe it is any different if it’s judge or jury.

1 Like

Clarence Thomas is a golden retriever.

1 Like

It’s been very helpful. Modern democracy has been a massive boon for mankind over the last 250 years. That doesn’t mean we can autopilot it forever.

You definitely cannot appeal an acquittal in a bench trial. However, if the judge just decides she’s in the tank, the fuckery will come in a motion to dismiss, which can be appealed, though not before the 2024 election.

1 Like

I dunno about that.

If the Rs don’t go completely insane on abortion, do we see the same results in 2022?

Well that would fall into the “limit to what they’ll vote for” category.

Swing voters or w/e they are also seemed to specifically punish elections deniers while still voting for moderate Rs. Hence that might have been a limit to what they’ll vote for.

1 Like

Considering Biden beat him last time, Trump’s schtick will somehow have to become more appealing/less revolting.

2 Likes

Biden wafflecrushes Trump barring WWIII or Great Depression II. Still scary though.

But Desantis scares me more because he’ll do 90% of the shit Trump will if he wins, and be smarter about it, and wait until his second term.

Can you define “wafflecrushes” here before I choose to agree or disagree with you?

OK, so Judge can do whatever they want if we get a bench trial, which presumably DOJ can block.

How about this? Maybe I watch too much Law and Order and such, I have seen this scenario on TV a couple of times.

1. Jury finds defendant guilty
  2. There is some motion for the Judge to “set aside the verdict” for reasons. Not even sure if this part is necessary
  3. Judge finds defendant not guilty

The End.

Is that possible in real life?

Bigger margins than 2020. Look at the midterms. People are sick of Trump and election deniers, Gen-Z is crazy motivated to vote against Trump, and I think Rs are finally dying off faster than they can make new ones.

1 Like

Hope you’re right, but I’m far from convinced.

In 2020, Biden won almost all the close states. It wouldn’t take much to flip it back the other way.

And in these “historic midterms”, the Republicans still managed to win the house. They might lose it in 2024, but (imo) they are pretty substantial favorites to take the senate.

wat. I’m tapping out lol

Been a bit manic with all this excitement.

Won’t miss the superficiality of whatever the fuck the conversation is at Unstuck

Nice pet.

Afaik this is possible in a civil case but rather rare, to the point I haven’t read many cases on it.

I would think that a judge could do this in a criminal case in favor of a defendant but there would be an avenue for appeal (it wouldn’t be an appeal of a not guilty jury verdict), particularly in the most scrutinized case in the country. What a judge cannot do it declare a defendant guilty, as that would violate constitutional right to a jury trial.

judgment notwithstanding the verdict (JNOV) | Wex | US Law | LII / Legal Information Institute.

You were one the last ones I would have guess to be the anonymous @SweetSummerChild. Well done.

2022 was abortion backlash primarily. The other stuff was less important, imo.

2 Likes

Setting the Cannon stuff aside, getting a conviction in a jury trial is never a sure thing. It just takes one holdout to get a hung jury, and in a Florida jury pool it seems very hard to screen out the Trump sympathizers. Even the New York jury that heard the rape/defamation case had one alt right guy which could explain why they found sexual assault but not rape.

So while it’s great to see the DOJ moving forward with a strong case, there’s still a lot of factors beyond anyone’s control that could easily prevent any consequences.

Just to be clear, you’re only talking about the “set aside the verdict” scenario, right?

If Trump, DOJ, and Judge agree to a bench trial, then the Judge could declare him guilty?