COVID-19: Chapter 9 - OMGicron

damn son, you got all sorts of boosted

5 Likes

And holy shit the airports were already packed when I got came back from TN. Someone on my flight was driving to Canada from my airport because they couldnā€™t get tested or their flight got cancelled or something. I was already watching movies on my IPad so only half heard.

7 Likes

Sydney Australia more than doubled previous daily record cases, 5700, with over 95% fully vaxxed. They were near 250 only 2ish weeks ago.

Probably cancelling family Christmas. One of my sisterā€™s clients called her (sheā€™s a psychologist) to let her know that the client was pozzed, sister tested positive today. She was with the client Thursday last week, then Saturday her kids were with my mother, my other sisterā€™s kids, and my cousinā€™s kids, so theyā€™re probably all pozzed.

Itā€™s not really that big of a deal since weā€™re all local, nobody was traveling this year anyway.

Still gonna make egg nog and drop it off for everyone in big mason jars.

11 Likes

Definitely not getting rid of most colds with this. IIRC, most colds are due to Rhinoviruses.

However, if this same type of technology can be used all of the other types of viruses that cause colds, we might be on to something.

I fucking hate colds. The best thing about the pandemic for me is zero colds. I would pay so much money never to have another cold again. They always hit me really hard.

2 Likes

In KC restaurants people donā€™t wear a mask when walking from the door to their table, like we have to in LA. Irresponsible!

2 Likes

Iā€™m guessing Iā€™ve finally caught the cron. It spread like wildfire at my work and I spent 12 hours in a small space with a confirmed pozz a couple days ago. Mild sore throat at the moment.

14 Likes

Under not looking so good right now.

15 Likes

Yeah, thinking the same thing

I thought you two were both being overly-optimistic.

Some good generalized advice for people with covid:

1. Fluids. You may not feel like eating or drinking. Make sure you drink plenty. Water, gatorade, whatever as long as it doesnā€™t have alcohol basically.
  2. Fever control. Fever isnā€™t bad or whatever, but youā€™ll feel better if you take ibuprofen (600mg up to 3x per day) or Tylenol (1000mg up to 3x per day)
  3. Get a pulse oximeter. If your O2 dips below 90% after a 1 minute walk, itā€™s time to go to the ER. If itā€™s 92% or lower at rest, you may not get admitted but itā€™s time for an eval.

Alert symptoms include:

1. Chest pain - not chest pain when you cough. Iā€™m talking chest pain that persists.
  2. Repeated vomiting or inability to drink. If you canā€™t drink fluids, you need an evaluation
  3. Increased work of breathing or shortness of breath. For example, if youā€™re pulling with your shoulders or belly to breathe, you need an evaluation.

Donā€™t be afraid to go into the ER. You may get walked and sent home after measuring your O2, but if you feel like shit and get in your head with worry, it can really help to have someone tell you youā€™re ok.

45 Likes

Momā€™s PCR test was negative

35 Likes

Iā€™ve felt like shit since Friday night. Bad coughing, stuffed up head, mildly labored breathing. Very similar, but milder, compared to what I experienced in February 2020. Took a rapid test Saturday night and it turned up negative. But my wifeā€™s parents are coming this weekend and, after I hadnā€™t really gotten any better as of yesterday, I scheduled a PCR test at my university this morning to be sure. Negative test result, which is obviously good news. I mean, the only possible exposure I would have had is through my kids and none of them had any symptoms. But I was still nervous, and now relieved.

Echoing @Melkerson, just a reminder of how much colds can suck. It was pretty nice going 18 months without getting one.

9 Likes

Most common colds are rhinoviruses.

Man, if the CRON didnā€™t ruin Christmas alreadyā€¦

10 Likes

Depending upon how much damage you took from the previous infection (and being really sick for a month back in August sounds like they took some damage), couldnā€™t the previous infection actually increase the risks of a bad outcome if re-infected? Like if their lungs got absolutely fucked up the first time around and havenā€™t recovered, Iā€™d think a second bout with Omicron might not be great.

What if my O2 level is normally at 95-96 with multiple pulse oximeters? Itā€™s time to exercise more, or am I in real trouble? This is something I learned during Covid, had never owned a pulse oximeter before. Sometimes Iā€™ll hit up to 97, but never higher.

Thatā€™s fine and normal

Thanks!