COVID-19: Chapter 8 - Ongoing source of viral information, and a little fun

MN mask mandate ends today but Minneapolis is keeping the city mandate in place so we are still required to wear them at work which I’m fine with, probably a bunch of unvaccinated people here

1 Like

Haven’t tracked a covid thread in months, but am in line for my vaccine. Should be about 10 minutes away.

At a Costco which is way too busy for these times. I think I’m getting the Kirkland vaccine

19 Likes

But the return policy is very generous.

5 Likes

Somewhat surprising. It seems as though there’s a significant breakthrough cluster at the Yankees.

Sorry if this has already been discussed.

Not sure if related but I read somewhere else they got the J&J vaccine. I wonder if this is the Indian strain.

I appreciate you guys who have your kids in the vaccine trials. I’m not gonna lie, while I know how important getting kids vaccinated is to ultimately beating this disease, I’d probably have some hesitations about having my kids in a trial, even though I’d sign myself up in 2 seconds for something this important. Which is odd because I have no issues ensuring my kids get their normal rounds of doctor recommended vaccinations which start almost immediately after birth.

3 Likes

I have no problem with mask mandates remaining in grocery stores and similar for a while. I want them gone for places you are in longer or where you are exercising.

That is very odd, kids get vaccines for everything. The covid vaccine is actually simpler than other vaccines. It’s a vaccine, not experimental brain surgery. If they can’t survive a covid vaccine they probably weren’t meant to be.

It wasn’t “science”. It was a few tens of thousands of individuals, many of whom were made fun of in school, out of 7 billion.

+1

I think the issue is that now a bunch of dumbass Republicans will not wear masks indoors and lie that they are vaccinated. Thus when stopped by a Walmart greeter or whatever they will get angry over “mah rights”

I find this interesting because I tend to agree that leaving the decisions around boosters to the companies who will make $$$ from them might not be the best policy.

1 Like

I mean I get it just from the “it’s new and unknown” and we want to be extra safe with our kids side. But regardless of that, we felt extra ok asking our Daughter to do it because at this point it has been given to millions of adults and the 12-15 age range has gone through it’s test and we have a great idea of the safety. This is more of a we have to go through the motions to prove what we most likely already know about the vaccine relative to safety.

3 Likes

At this point I am pretty convinced that the subset of unvaccinated people who will listen to CDC advice and continue to mask up while vaccinated people can stop, does not exist. How you get rid of mask mandates when a significant portion of the population is unvaccinated (and will likely stay that way forever) and will immediately stop wearing masks as well is problematic. I always had a feeling the endgame to the pandemic was widespread vaccine availability, significant vaccine resistance from a large portion of the population, and the gov’t just saying “fuck it, we’re done.” Vaccine passports, incentives, and/or mandates just aren’t going to happen, and restrictions and mask mandates have to have an endpoint. It feels like we’re about there.

4 Likes

lol’d

Yes but if they are actually going to stay that way forever then this is the right thing to do

People are not rational when it comes to the health, safety, and risks their kids face, and I know I’m not immune to that. I’m sure having one of my kids die from a vaccine reaction would change me in ways that I’m deeply afraid of, even though I harbor no real vaccine hesitancy. I consider myself a pretty rational person, but that would fuck me up big time.

2 Likes

Nope, it’s just the easiest thing to do. The right thing to do would be to require proof of vaccination to enter places unmasked. But there’s no political will to do that, so we’re effectively doing the minimum and throwing in the towel on the rest.

2 Likes

5/14/21 15.12 GMT

Second year of pandemic set to be more deadly - WHO

The World Health Organization (WHO) has urged rich countries to reconsider plans to vaccinate children against coronavirus and instead donate jabs to the international Covax scheme for poorer countries.

WHO chief Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus told a virtual meeting in Geneva that the second year of the pandemic was set to be more deadly than the first, with the situation in India being a huge concern.

Geneva itself will begin vaccinating everyone over 16 from next week.

Last week, US President Joe Biden laid out plans to vaccinate 70% of US adults by 4 July and roll out the shots for 12- to 15-year-olds as soon as possible.

Dr Tedros said: “I understand why some countries want to vaccinate their children and adolescents, but right now I urge them to reconsider and to instead donate vaccines to Covax.”

Here’s more on the international effort to share vaccines around the world.