COVID-19: Chapter 8 - Ongoing source of viral information, and a little fun

I’d forgotten about the demon semen doctor.

2 Likes

Good to see 100% vaccination down there!

1 Like

Odds anti vaxxers blame vaccine on death of 81 year old many months later?

1 Like

https://mobile.twitter.com/bader_diedrich/status/1397570065994637316

I know dieder is joking but in this Age of Influencers how much anti masks is not partly because people want to be recognized. Even people who would never be recognized are worried they might not be recognized.

If your central focus in your life is posting pictures of your face online it has to be quite the struggle.

There’s been 5-10 cases per day in the city I’m in for the past week.

Just went out and right around the corner was a bus in front of a hotel with its inside being spray-washed by guys in hazmat suits.

I suppose its almost a humble brag to experience this kind of fear in May 2021 rather than over a year ago.

1 Like

45 posts were split to a new topic: Gambling Addiction

From BBC rolling news.

Conservative MP Mark Harper asks Matt Hancock about the Indian variant.

He says the evidence suggests the vaccines are very effective in stopping serious disease, including in cases of the Indian variant. He asks: If that remains the case, does Hancock agree there will be no reason not to open up on 21 June?

“That is literally the most important question to which we do not yet have a full answer,” says Hancock.

"The data that we have is that in the hotspot areas around one in 10 of those in hospital are people who have had both jabs.

“The fact that 90% are people who have not yet been double vaccinated gives us a high degree of confidence that the vaccine is highly effective but it also shows - the fact there’s 10% who have been double vaccinated - that it isn’t 100% effective.”

I’m slightly confused here.

I understand that the vaccines are not 100% effective but I thought they were at preventing serious illness … yet 10% of those in hospital have had both jabs. Being in hospital = serious illness does it not?

(I appreciate some of those dbl-jabbed will still be in the 2 weeks after period)

Very low. They might blame his death on the vaccine though.

Britain is AZ not mRNA. AZ does not have 100% protection from serious illness even after both jabs, and a ton of those got sick before their second needle took or have bad/suppressed immune systems.

This current outbreak is definitely exposing Taiwan as less than the model of responsibility and competence that it had become perceived as throughout the first year of the pandemic.

[TAIPEI: Facing Taiwan’s largest outbreak of the pandemic and looking for rapid virus test kits, the mayor of the island’s capital did what anyone might do: He Googled it.

“If you don’t know, and you try to know something, please check Google,” Taipei Mayor Ko Wen-je quipped

https://mobile.twitter.com/erinhale/status/1397789412272967685

“How to protect workers?”
“Wash hands”
“Wear masks”
“Work from home”

2 Likes

Does image mean work?

I think so. 2nd character is “home” for sure (2nd panel, guy on the right).

Yes, but by itself it’s effectively a word stem.

工作 = work, job
員工 = a company’s workers

1 Like

There was just one literally tiny problem: “The physics of it is all wrong,” Marr says. That much seemed obvious to her from everything she knew about how things move through air. Reality is far messier, with particles much larger than 5 microns staying afloat and behaving like aerosols, depending on heat, humidity, and airspeed. “I’d see the wrong number over and over again, and I just found that disturbing,” she says. The error meant that the medical community had a distorted picture of how people might get sick.

Thinking it might help her overcome this resistance, she’d try from time to time to figure out where the flawed 5-micron figure had come from. But she always got stuck. The medical textbooks simply stated it as fact, without a citation, as if it were pulled from the air itself.

Inside Randall’s head, something snapped into place. She shot forward in time, to that first tuberculosis guidance document where she had started her investigation. She had learned from it that tuberculosis is a curious critter; it can only invade a subset of human cells in the deepest reaches of the lungs. Most bugs are more promiscuous. They can embed in particles of any size and infect cells all along the respiratory tract.

What must have happened, she thought, was that after Wells died, scientists inside the CDC conflated his observations. They plucked the size of the particle that transmits tuberculosis out of context, making 5 microns stand in for a general definition of airborne spread. Wells’ 100-micron threshold got left behind. “You can see that the idea of what is respirable, what stays airborne, and what is infectious are all being flattened into this 5-micron phenomenon,” Randall says. Over time, through blind repetition, the error sank deeper into the medical canon. The CDC did not respond to multiple requests for comment.

In June, she Zoomed into a meeting with the rest of the team to share what she had found. Marr almost couldn’t believe someone had cracked it. “It was like, ‘Oh my gosh, this is where the 5 microns came from?!’” After all these years, she finally had an answer. But getting to the bottom of the 5-micron myth was only the first step. Dislodging it from decades of public health doctrine would mean convincing two of the world’s most powerful health authorities not only that they were wrong but that the error was incredibly—and urgently—consequential.

Crazy story.

7 Likes

One of the last holdouts I know is getting their first shot tomorrow, after I’ve been prodding gently for two months. She’s a DACA recipient so there’s some hesitancy to do stuff like this, and she doesn’t have a big lefty social circle creating an “everyone’s vaxxed” culture. Whether I played a role or not, I’m glad to see stragglers getting on board.

11 Likes

https://mobile.twitter.com/AFP/status/1397978319841370112

https://mobile.twitter.com/Mutiny32/status/1397992062738436103

https://mobile.twitter.com/BBCFergusWalsh/status/1397956564364021762

At my clients in Montana. Today guidance changed that if you are vaxxed you can lose the mask in the building. They are asking for vax cards so mine got it’s first official use!

There are some number of vaccine holdouts. The manager was making it very clear to them that they had to continue to mask in common spaces.

Made me chuckle silently. I wonder how much of this across America will drag another few percent over the finish line.

Little burger place I stopped at for lunch had no masks at all. No customers or employees. Well other than me.

1 Like

my company announced they are going to open offices in june. proof of vaccination is required. signups through an online system as well. noone is obligated back tho, except facilities staff ofc. IT is quite upset at having to jump through hoops and support management insanity

Courts in Maryland are ditching mask requirements on Monday, and also apparently judges are allowed to order witnesses to remove their mask while they testify.

Melbourne Australia back into a 7 day lockdown due to cases (total) rising to 26. All stemming from one case that got sick in hotel quarentine and carried it out.

One entertaining part of this is they are publicising all locations these cases went to.

On the one hand. One person was out til 4 am two nights in a row clubbing. Not great for contact tracing, but at least they are cool.

On the other some poor guy went to mcdonalds and spent 4 hours in “Swordcraft” some kind of adventure card game.