COVID-19: Chapter 7 - Brags, Beats, and Variants

Vaccine question here.

A and B live together.

Person A is vaccinated.

Person B is not.

Person A is obviously safe if Person B is pozzed.

Is Person B safe? Meaning, can Person A be a carrier even if vaccinated?

ITT, consensus seems to be that Person B is safe as ‘it would go against the basic principles of virology for the vaccinated to spread virus’ but scientists / governments add the proviso that it’s too early to be 100% sure the vaccinated won’t transmit

So, most likely safe… how many days after vaccination is person B safe? 7 days? 30 days? I don’t think anyone can be sure on that yet either.

2 Likes

Cliffs: It could be theoretically possible to still spread it, but, at the very least, being vaccinated should reduce your ability to spread it. We haven’t really been studying it enough to have conclusive data.

2 Likes

Yea I can imagine it being too soon. Hopefully they know in a few months.

Yeah. I mean, all of the theory and knowledge from past vaccines indicates that it will significantly limit (though perhaps not completely eliminate) transmission (that’s why the entire concept of herd immunity through vaccination is even possible), but the scientists (understandably) aren’t going to say anything is 100% conclusive without the data.

2 Likes

4 posts were split to a new topic: Stuff: the Things We Acquire and Don’t Get Rid Of

China bans flights to and from UK

Beijing says it will follow other countries in banning flights to and from the UK indefinitely, after the emergence of a new highly-infectious strain of the coronavirus.

The announcement came from foreign ministry spokesman Wang Wenbin who cited the “exceptional nature of the virus mutation” in Britain and its potential impact.

In recent months, there have been eight weekly flights between mainland China and the UK, including two operated by British Airways.

Your parents are 100% the assholes here, on multiple dimensions. For starters, you should adopt a pre-approval policy for all presents weighing more than 10 lbs.

EDIT: You’re 2-3 years out from receiving an actual, living white elephant. “Oh, she just loves animals so much, I thought it would be nice for her…”

5 Likes

Is person A really safe? The way I understood it is that the vaccines do not confer 100% protection.

3 Likes

People are really irrational right now so I wouldn’t sweat it. My parents just had to come down yesterday and hand deliver our gifts even though we has told them no Christmas this year. I called my mom in the morning and told them to come earlier because we were planning on doing it all on the patio and a cold front was supposed to come through. My mom assured me they had been very careful. Only one large wedding and a few indoor dining experiences (that she admitted). I told her it would be enormously dumb to get covid right now with the vaccine coming and the hospitals jammed. That did not go over well. She also informed me that she was not getting the vaccine because it was made out of fetuses. And they of course were also extremely late and we got to sit outside in extremely cold windy weather. Fun.

It was nice to see them but pretty much forcing coming down on us and then explaining they were late because they had to stop by a bunch of friend’s houses to drop off other presents on the way kind of defeats the purpose of what we are trying to do.

9 Likes

You should not have agreed to meeting them.

Oh I agree but the stopping by friends houses part was dropped on us about 10 minutes after they rolled in. I did actually suggest they mail the stuff yesterday morning but they were insistent because my sister had given them a box of letters from her students to my wife and fellow health care workers to bring down. Why that couldn’t be mailed I have no idea.

Ohh well…

Young cousin got dampness in his front living room, he had to move into the parents, so mum offered to take the kids to school this week (It was only 2 days).

Brother has decided to bring the new wife with kid & her boyfriend to mums too for Xmas.

Hey Atleast there’s no secret santa this year on boxing day…

I’m going to work the whole weekend & hopefully make a wage for once this year… Dropping off presents at mums before anyone arrives & stand at the back door the whole time using my vape to ward off stupid pensioners. :grimacing:

4 Likes

There really is no rationality whatsoever. My mom has now mentioned about 20 times that my (right-wing) cousin who also lives in LA flew back for Xmas. Clearly someone actually loves his parents. Never mind that my other cousin with some sense did not.

She’s also decided she’s absolutely heartsick that my Dad (divorced since I was 5) will be spending Christmas alone - even though my Dad usually spends Christmas alone, is fine with it, and definitely wants nothing to do with a big party this year.

And she’s decided she needs daily updates that I’m ok from Costa Rica even though she knows I went through much more dangerous places a couple years ago. LA is more dangerous than Costa Rica.

And for the coup de grace she just informed me that Christmas Eve will be a “Big Party!” this year. This after about 30 discussions between us where she assured me she understands the risks and is taking it very very seriously.

I honestly can’t figure out if she’s being deliberately passive aggressive or just completely irrational.

Oh yeah and my sister - who has an auto-immune disease, is now hosting her deplorable MIL as usual for Christmas. Absolutely zero telling her no or making her stay in a motel.

Based on all the stories itt I think I lucked out and got a top 5% family because my parents and grandparents were 100% on board with not doing any Christmas or NYE gatherings. I didn’t even have to bring it up or convince them. My parents and I had a fire in the backyard a few day ago and we exchanged gifts, that’s it

5 Likes

So in the period tested 2 out of about 1300 nurses that already had antibodies later tested positive.

That was very roughly 10% of the antibody negative infections rate. (223 out of 11k)

Neither of the 2 had symptoms.

About half of the 223 had symptoms.

They were followed for 6 months.

The fact that the incidence was 2 people make the stats down their tricky. Clear the rate is much less but that neither had symptoms doesn’t say a lot to me.

I still don’t believe I’ve seen any reports of second infections resulting in significant illness.

https://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/NEJMoa2034545

Just a normal December day in a pandemic no one cares about! Christmas reckoning is going to be depressing.

4 Likes

My Dad and his gf are talking some risks around the edges but nothing like what you are describing. Not happy they are having an outdoor Xmas dinner in Arizona with another couple tomorrow. But no big gatherings. Of course there could be stuff we don’t know about.

My FIL’s gf has a daughter-in-law that has very strict rules around seeing her 2 year old so they toe the line very well.

Definitely weird seeing former poker players act like 95% ~= 100%

1 Like