COVID-19: Chapter 7 - Brags, Beats, and Variants

Dumb question - but is the second dose different than the first? Or are they identical?

Same except for more 5G but more likely to kick your ass.

4 Likes

For all of them 2nd dose is identical?

Yes but the second one goes straight to your brain.

Iā€™m not sure about ā€œall of themā€ as there are numerous ones in development worldwide.

But that is true for Pfizer, Moderna and AZ.

Literally nobody is applauding them. Iā€m just pointing out that it is pointless to try to expend resources to stop them.

No research on that so who knows.

This is akin to arguing that no study with both a control group and experimental group is ever valid because conditions in the real world could change for both groups. This is a bad argument, IMO.

True. I got a pretty nasty cold. Headache for a couple days, congestion that has been around for about a week now., phlegm etc. I actually know 4 other people who have gotten this in CA and we all tested negative for the Rona.

Makes me wonder whats going on there. Is it more of a smear transmission one than covid? I havenā€™t been as super anal about sanitizing/washing my hands after touching legit anything the last couple weeks so I kind of assume thats how I got this.

First off, no itā€™s not.

Second, the external validity of a RCT is a serious question of literal any study.

edit:
I bring this up a lot in the OFS studies, particularly the Wisconsin elementary school study. My point is not that itā€™s a bad study, just that itā€™s results arenā€™t applicable to a nationwide rollout of school openings. I make that claim because I believe the Hawthorne effect (where knowing that youā€™re being observed changes your behavior) and other compliance measures arenā€™t applicable to the rest of the nation. Iā€™m not claiming that the paper is bad.

Asking if study conditions are reflective of actual conditions under which a treatment is going to be used is a perfectly reasonable question.

If there is a difference, then it doesnā€™t mean the study is invalid. It just means that you need to exercise caution when drawing conclusions from the study.

I donā€™t think so. Churchill made a big deal of this awhile ago and I found no consistent usage even among major academic journals to support this.

https://twitter.com/mehdirhasan/status/1368245264788643841?s=21

How do vaccine effectiveness studies differ from vaccine efficacy studies?

Vaccine efficacy refers to vaccine protection measured in RCTs usually under optimal conditions where vaccine storage and delivery are monitored and participants are usually healthy. Vaccine effectiveness refers to vaccine protection measured in observational studies that include people with underlying medical conditions who have been administered vaccines by different health care providers under real-world conditions.

Difference allayed to by others in the thread = P1 vairant not heard of / circulating when current vaccine tested for efficacy - J&J a bit later in the timescale may have less tested efficacy but more real world effectiveness

Thatā€™s a much broader claim than I made, but even as stated, itā€™s a central problem in epistemology!

ITVā€™s Libby Wiener asks Matt Hancock how hard he fought for a more generous pay offer for NHS workers.

And she asks Dr Susan Hopkins if the AstraZeneca vaccine works against the Brazil variant.

Hancock says the government has to take issues of ā€œaffordabilityā€ into account but adds that he is glad the NHS was ā€œcarved out of the pay freezeā€.

On the second question, Dr Hopkins says ā€œwe do not yet have lab or clinical data for the Brazilian variantā€ adding that this may take weeks to come through.

However she says the vaccine may cause ā€œsome reduction in the risk of transmissionā€.

Link to aboveā€¦

ergo, the P1 Brazillian variant is likely to lower the effectiveness a little further from effiicacy (lab) numbers as initial stuides show anitbodies donā€™t fight so well as they did against covid 1.0 when vaccines where modelled (IMO)

I meanā€¦ this was the whole issue before. Thatā€™s not what the thing you just linked said. RCT subjects arenā€™t kept in a lab ffs.

Nah but most worldwide participants of the stage 1, 2 & 3 trials were in a lockdown of sorts

Did you miss this lecture?

I canā€™t read the whole article, but itā€™s super tilting because tamiflu doesnā€™t really work.