COVID-19: Chapter 7 - Brags, Beats, and Variants

Nick_Riviera

I literally got covid this week, have been quite sick and have complained less than your group not being able to say the c word. Are you ever not the victim?

16 Likes

Welcome
To the

AIDS

Show

2 Likes

That’s some specific strain analysis you have in your region. Not just in school but definately the physics class, almost like you have video footage of the infection.

Which country has this power?

Maybe stop posting for a bit.

5 Likes

I’m sorry to hear that and hope your youth sees you through this quickly with no lingering health issues.

Your lack of self-indulgent hysteria is a credit to you and an example to many of your compatriots.

I hope you realise that the ■■■■■■ and the c-covid words are not related.

1 Like

Like I’ll be fine!
Just like how if you guys can’t say a word, or can’t even get along with specific posters, will also be fine.

Well you know, if you can’t call someone a ■■■■■

This thread’s reinfection rate is through the roof.

19 Likes

Quite frankly, I hope he doesn’t stop. If you’re putting out bad information, whether by poorly selecting quotes from an article, by misstating the claims of an article, posting a bad article, or otherwise, you should expect to draw heat, and the correct reaction isn’t to go on the offensive.

3 Likes

One quality post per hour, but that’s out of how many total posts?

I’m posting this in spite of the risk of it being drug into whatever the hell the last 50 posts are but this new Covid super strain feels eerily similar to a year ago. Once area of the world taking it very seriously while the rest of the world does literally nothing and just hopes for the best.

Although in places like the US it wouldn’t matter regardless we are never going to handle this with any degree of competence.

5 Likes

Why does anyone bother replying to Churchill? Mute him like the other 75% of users. JFC

1 Like

Yeah that’s the convo I wanted to start with my post last night but it incited furor and then caused a terrible sidetrack so I have now crawled back into my hole.

Also, I agree that the vaccine will likely work for the new strain. To me, that aspect isn’t worth much discussion.

1 Like

There may be a more infectious strain, but honestly, I think the answer is still “So what?”

Read the BMJ article Caffeine posted earlier:

It’s reasonably likely but uncertain that this strain is more infectious, but:

1. It’s very unlikely it’ll escape the vaccine, because, while the mutation is to the spike protein, the immune response to the spike protein that would be induced by the vaccine may generate multiple effective antibodies per individual, and only one of them has to work for you to be protected.
  2. It’s very unlikely that masks or other PPE are going to be less effective against it
  3. Even if a new vaccine will be needed, updating the mRNA vaccines is easy.
  4. It’s unlikely the new strain would require alternative medical care.

So, like, other than travel restrictions on the UK, there’s basically no other actions worth taking even if the new strain is definitively more infectious. You’ll still want to wear a mask for the time being. You’ll still want to get the vaccine. Widespread vaccination is still almost certainly game over for the virus.

3 Likes

I’d appreciate your comments on this one published 2 days later than BMJ, posted earlier up thread

This was part of the analysis…

Work by Prof Ravi Gupta at the University of Cambridge has suggested this mutation increases infectivity two-fold in lab experiments.

Studies by the same group suggest the deletion makes antibodies from the blood of survivors less effective at attacking the virus.

Prof Gupta told me: “It is rapidly increasing, that’s what’s worried government, we are worried, most scientists are worried.”

Update from Steven Millman, nothing we didn’t already know:

December 21 COVID Mini-ish Update: Yes, more people are dying in 2020 than would be expected. Lots more.

I have on multiple occasions addressed the various myths and falsehoods related to COVID death counts. The general message in these fountains of misinformation is that COVID deaths are overstated because either (1) people listed as COVID deaths actually died of other stuff or (2) They are people who would have died anyway because of age and/or infirmity. If you’d like to see the long version on why these statments aren’t true, see my updates from Aug 8th (https://www.facebook.com/steven.millman/posts/10157238376976821) and Aug 30th (https://www.facebook.com/steven.millman/posts/10157291230501821). Or just trust me, they aren’t true. That’s a much shorter reading assignment.

The most persistent remaining question out there - at least for people looking for additional proof that what’s obviously true is obviously true - is whether more people are going to have died in 2020 than would be expected in a typical year adjusting for population. The answer, unsurprisingly, is YES.

As of right now, the CDC is estimating about 3.1 million Americans will have died from all causes in 2020 against an expectation in 2020 that 2.7 million would have died based on prior years and population growth. This turns out to be just under 400,000 excess deaths, a number that’s a bit higher than the number of people who are known to have died from COVID. While the CDC data used here are a little challenging to work with if you aren’t used to it, they can be found at the following URL if you’d like to check my math:

https://data.cdc.gov/…/Weekly-Counts-of…/muzy-jte6

You can see a visual description in the image attached that makes it pretty clear that this isn’t a normal year, and you can even play with those data and see your own state’s excess mortality at:

https://www.cdc.gov/nchs/nvss/vsrr/covid19/excess_deaths.htm

To be perfectly clear: The folks dying of COVID are NOT people who would have died otherwise, and it’s not because of misattributed death certificates. MANY MORE AMERICANS ARE DYING THAN CAN BE EXPLAINED OUTSIDE OF THE OBVIOUS ANSWER. The obvious answer that COVID is killing Americans in the hundreds of thousands.

Wear a mask. Social distance. Stay home for the holidays. Get the vaccine when it’s your turn. Be smart and live to see the holidays in 2021.

As always, I’m an exhausted professional statistician and not a medical professional.

1 Like

One of the authors of that paper was also one of the main source of quotes in the BMJ article, Nick Loman. It’s not really saying anything new or different; it’s just being more precise (the BMJ article didn’t tabulate all the observed non-synonymous changes, e.g.).

3 Likes
  1. I don’t see what the first paper does to change anything.

2. I just read the abstract for the second paper, but it sure seems to be talking about a different mutation than the new virus that has people worried. It also is a case report, although an interesting one. I don’t see how it’s applicable as it’s an entirely different mutation though.

WTH may as well weigh in. Going for comedy here.

Often when a new bird flu arises the source country just Eliminates the entire flock to stop further spread.

Good thing about Brexit, otherwise it would be the EU’s decision what to do with the U.K.

1 Like