COVID-19: Chapter 7 - Brags, Beats, and Variants

Probably because the schools are open for business.

1 Like

My best friendā€™s a nurse and has been trying to convince me we can hang out again. I canā€™t tell if he was given bad info, is mistaken, or flat out lying, but heā€™s claiming he was told that he 95% canā€™t transmit the virus anymore.

Not gonna post the full convo, it gets a little more heated from here, but hereā€™s his claim:

Kind of horrified tbh.

Lol no. Just the child of an educator of 40+ years.

But Iā€™m from a poor city in a poor state. Iā€™m sure itā€™s different in the affluent areas of Seattle.

If someone wants to tell me Iā€™m wrong Iā€™ll be stoked but my understanding is given the available research there is no evidence that vaccinated people cannot still shed virus.

Iā€™m worried heā€™s just gonna go about his normal routine without a care in the world and infect a ton of people. His floor used to be post op care or something but itā€™s been converted to a covid floor. Iā€™m told that many floors were converted to covid floors. Heā€™s gonna kill someone.

From my understanding is the general consensus ITT is that heā€™s sort of right, we just donā€™t have the data to prove it because they didnā€™t test for it. If people could still get and spread the virus after the vaccine like normal it would kind of go against how this shit works in general.

Someone will come along though and give deets.

Edit: Wanted to add in I think people also say you should still be safe and practice precaution until we do have the data. But hanging out with him after heā€™s at 95% seems totally fine. He just shouldnā€™t be like going to concerts and shit without a mask which he canā€™t anyways so moot point.

1 Like

From June to November 2020, almost 21,000 healthcare workers across the UK were regularly tested to see whether they:

• currently had the coronavirus
  • had had it previously

Of those who had no antibodies to the virus, suggesting they may have never had it, 318 developed potential new infections within this timeframe.

But among the 6,614 with antibodies, this figure was just 44 potential new infections.

Iā€™m pretty sure you arenā€™t totally immune right after you get the vaccine. Takes time.

The risk of hanging out with him seems very likely to be hugely reduced once heā€™s fully vaccinated.

1 Like

Ok Iā€™ll trust this group if thatā€™s the consensusā€¦

the childcare isnā€™t free. itā€™s already paid-for.

Nothing wrong with being cautious, but I believe vaccines generally work by teaching your body to eliminate the virus before it can reproduce enough and overwhelm your system. So someone whoā€™s effectively been vaccinated shouldnā€™t even be carrying the viral load to shed - let alone doing the coughing/sneezing/dripping necessary to do so most efficiently.

This is essentially how it works with all existing vaccines, and the reason we donā€™t need 100% vaccination to reach herd immunity. Scientists have just been uber-cautious definitively saying so re: COVID because a. we try not to say things without testing them explicitly and b. it would be disastrous to be wrong about it.

All my friends are nurses. If I can hang out with them safely or even semi-safely that is huge news for me. Despite having pretty bad hypertension and some other heart issues I think I am still in the lowest priority group for the vaccine rollout in CA.

I just havenā€™t really been seeing much out there that says itā€™s ok (in fact the opposite) and I dont religiously follow this thread. I live alone and isolation is kind of dangerous for me.
Iā€™ve been holed up for months and months. Just watching a football game with my friend would be a really big deal.

3 Likes

I think itā€™s important to be precise here. Everyone has a choice. But ā€œweā€ donā€™t have a choice. A strict lockdown would be great, but the people with the power to institute a strict lockdown by and large wonā€™t choose to do that. They should, but they wonā€™t.

My mom is a nurse and has received the vaccine and is already asking when she can come visit. Iā€™m personally ok with it because I think the likelihood of her carrying the virus is pretty low. I think this has been discussed earlier in this thread and that was the general consensus.
My wife thinks after vaccine you can still spread it and has sent me links to articles saying no one knows if you are able to spread or not after receiving the vaccine.

Basically scientists arenā€™t going to tell you its safe until they have the undeniable data to show that. This causes media outlets to clickbait shit about still spreading the virus.

But everyone knowledgeable about this stuff says its extremely unlikely people vaccinated still spread the virus much at all. They just donā€™t say it in an official capacity.

1 Like

Are you guys asking/discussing/answering if a vaccinated person can spread the virus before they attain full immunity or after?

2 Likes

Well, it worked on me. I am cautiously excited. I might even be able to host a superbowl party again this year!

Like, the vaccine becomes almost irrelevant for me if this is true. Because the only people I can even come in contact with will be vaccinated and I never leave the house except to go for walks.

Thanks guys - Iā€™ll do some more research

1 Like

After

After of course lol, which IIRC is a week or so after the 2nd shot.

Didnā€™t we just (as in, two weeks ago) pass a $900bn COVID relief bill? How much support is needed here before we can make some kind of effort to rein in the virus?

I donā€™t think the conspiracy gloss is especially helpful here. Many parents with kids want their kids in school because they think itā€™s whatā€™s best for their kids. Thatā€™s a very normal and healthy reaction. Itā€™s even more normal and healthy for vulnerable populations not to want to die unpleasantly or for healthcare workers not to be trapped in a perpetual abattoir. In a functioning political system, that would be the debate that would be hashed outā€“who sacrifices, how much, under what terms, towards what ends, for how long? Then the political leaders would lead people towards successfully executing on that plan. Without that kind of collective action, itā€™s pretty inevitable that almost everyone is going to give up on pro-social behavior and do what they feel they need to do. Itā€™s not, in any way, noble, but you donā€™t need insidious forces to explain people not wanting to make sacrifices in a losing fight. Most people arenā€™t heroes.

1 Like