COVID-19: Chapter 4 - OPEN FOR BUSINESS

Bartenders.

1 Like

Interesting and not necessarily good poll numbers out of the Czech Republic regarding coronavirus.

https://www.idnes.cz/zpravy/domaci/domaci-opatreni-vakcina-noseni-rousek-povinnost-koned.A200524_181219_domaci_lesa#anketa-progress-A20200524_lesa_170

Summary:

45% of Czechs think the coronavirus crisis is over
51% do not think it’s over
4% don’t know

Note: The Minister of Health here publicly declared the crisis over in the Czech Republic a few days ago. As I don’t have access to the question as it was asked, I’m not sure if it was referring to the worldwide pandemic or just the crisis within the CR.

People polled would voluntarily wear a veil…

When visiting a care home for the elderly (77%)
In a doctor’s office (67%)
While on ublic transport (57%)
In a shop or office (42%)
Outside (20%)

Here’s the fucked up one:

If a vaccine for coronavirus was created…

49% would get it
43% would reject it
8% don’t know

Again, I don’t know the wording of the question. Maybe people who would reject it would rather wait for others to get it first to see if they get fucked up and then decide whether or not to get it. Maybe the question didn’t make it clear whether or not the vaccine had been properly tested and approved.

On the other hand, even 10% would be higher than expected. I mean we as a species are pinning our hopes on some Jonas Salk type of discovery that would cure this plague.

i went to pick up a pizza today and nobody was wearing a mask. they think it’s over. we’re fucked.

7 Likes

Imagine had this originated in some small country with oil. USA#1 would already be dropping bombs.

I know that it’s rational to download the contact tracing app. But at the same time, knowing that the damn thing could drop a message telling me that I came into contact with however many covid19 carriers causes a bit of anxiety.

So I did it but I wish this damn thing was gone so I didn’t have to.

1 Like

I used to go to a circuit training workout in the mornings - super high intensity. Like crossfit level intensity but w/o all the stupid dangerous stuff. H&F derisively called it my zumba class - but that’s ok.

This is a letter written by the owner to the mayor of Redondo Beach (note: this is not my right-wing ex-trainer, who owns a different gym now, this guy is pretty level-headed about politics) posted on his FB group:

Dear Mr Mayor,
I am a small business owner here in Redondo Beach. I opened Body One Fitness in February of 2009 and have a lease taking me through 2028, which I am hoping to extend. We are a small group training facility, only 1550sqft. We have a membership base of approximately 150 members, and it is a solid group of people.
As you can imagine, this mandated shutdown is killing my family and me emotionally and financially. Owning a fitness studio, our focus is always the well-being of our members: fitness is essential to the positive mental health of all of us. With that said, the fact that obesity, diabetes, and hypertension are three key factors to putting one at higher risk of contracting the virus, we need to have more of a focus on getting individuals back to their fitness routines. With our state classifying all fitness related facilities as gyms and in Phase 3, I am asking you to help us reclassify fitness studios as a separate category and allow fitness studios to open June 1st. A closure of possibly 16 weeks, as the County suggests July 4th for reopening, is detrimental to our chance of remaining in business.
As a fitness studio, we already have a controlled capacity in place – our smaller facilities allow for a limit of 8 to 10 members maximum per hour. This small number of individuals starkly contrasts with the traffic capacity in larger chain gyms, yet we are being grouped in the same category as though we operate unilaterally.
This is a list of the steps we are taking to ensure client safety as we move forward to reopening:

· We have one non-touchable thermometer for each gym, if it is deemed necessary for us to take temperatures of our members prior to entering. We will be ready.
· We purchased 200 washable masks, they will be available for the members for free.(Based on what I’ve seen around the country, not many places are enforcing the mask use during workouts) Unless deemed necessary to wear, it will be optional for everyone, including coaches.
· We have 100 pairs of disposable latex gloves for coaches to use during coaching and for cleaning between classes,
· The coaches will use the 15 minutes between classes to wipe down bars, dumbbells and kettlebells with either our wet wipes or the virus killer disinfectant.
· We have upgraded our wet-wipes and will have 6 cases per gym when we open our doors.(24 rolls @700 wipes per roll). And we are set up to receive 6 rolls(4200 wipes)per gym every 3 weeks. So I’m hoping we never run out!
· We have 24 liters per gym of heavy duty disinfectant, which again we can use between the classes as well as our cleaning crew will use.
· We have a total of 11 gallons of hand sanitizer. Each gym will have 2-24oz pump bottles placed at the desk and on the floor.
· We have a year contract with Enviro-Masters to come on a weekly basis and use their electrostatic spray throughout the gym with their coronavirus killer formula. Along with that they are setting up a third hand sanitizer station on the outside of the bathroom door, which they will refill weekly.
· Our cleaners will be coming 2x per week per facility.
· All our members must signup online, no walkins.
· We will go by 5ppl per 1000sqft which will give us 8ppl in Redondo and 10 in RPV. If we want, we can push 12 in Redondo with 4 ppl always outside for cardio(and if done properly we can all be 6ft apart when the coach is going over the board)
· All the racks are already set 6ft apart so if we wanted to, we could have 8 ppl in the racks, at the minimum we can have 4ppl
· The flooring we have are 4ft x 6ft mats so the 4 ppl not in the racks can be a floor mat apart
· In the first few weeks, we may go to 3-13minute stations to allow 3.5 minutes rotation to clean and not rush ppl.
· The 5am in Redondo may even start at 445-450am to allow the cleaning before the 6am and to prevent any bottlenecking with the 2 classes.
· Also to ensure we can get all the members in as possible, we will open both gyms to all members until things settle down and we can increase our numbers.
· RPV will be starting up a Semi-Private Training program starting at 1115am/1230pm/145pm & 3pm 3 days/week with the goal of expanding this to 5 days/week. It will have a max of 4ppl per group and it will be more individualized workouts with all the members having training logs. They will not be doing the daily boards. There is a special pricing to have access to these semi-private groups which will include all the classes on our schedule.
· BCS- myself and the coaches are working on a schedule that would allow 4 classes per day 5 days a week. The classes would be on the hour 2pm/3pm/4pm/5pm and would be 50minutes allowing myself and the coaches to clean in the 10-minute break, while the next group is warming up in the parking lot. What group is where and what days is TBD. Please note this is all tentative and contingent on available pool times.
Please help us reclassify fitness studios so that they may open earlier than Phase 3. Doing so would be a fight for the health of our community and the welfare of small business owners devoted to helping others thrive.

Stay Motivated,

I really feel for the guy. This is the most detailed plan I’ve ever seen. But man - 10 people sweating and breathing so hard it feels like your long us going to pop out of your chest (at least for me), for an hour, is just such a rough situation. I guess the best thing in his favor is most participants are like 25-40 and very fit already.

I’ve been really down lately thinking about all the small business owners just getting crushed by this. California is for the most part doing the right thing, and not allowing higher risk places to open up. But it has to be so tough right now, not knowing how long they have the scrounge through. And of course Republicans are going to block any more support $$ because they want us all to get back out there and die for the economy.

2 Likes

How do those apps define “contact”? Would you get a notification if you simply walked within 6 feet of someone who tested positive?

Thing is that places that are legit following the lockdown thing aren’t necessarily going to get back to business as usual. That guy might not even get 8-10 people in a room at the same time because there’s still too much uncertainty in the minds of others.

The website mentioned that being within 2 meters of somebody 1-2 minutes won’t be enough for notification.

Apparently, what happens is if you do come into contact with a carrier for a long enough time, you receive a call from your regional hygiene station and they’ll tell you what to do.

In the event that I personally get infected, they’ll have access to the list of eRouska users that I came into contact with.

Anyway, Google Play has it marked at having 100,000+ downloads. So that’s not a lot for a country of 10.63 million people. Not sure how useful it’ll be right away.

17 Likes

lol that’ll go over well

1 Like

Linsey Marr, an expert in airborne disease transmission at Virginia Tech, told PolitiFact that masks provide some protection but the amount can vary widely depending on the type and how it’s worn. Masks reduce the amount of virus spread and also the amount one might inhale, she said.

It’s not true, she said, that cloth masks provide 0% protection.

“There have been measurements showing that homemade mask materials offer up to 80% protection,” Marr said, “which is much better than 0%, although not as good as an N95. Still, reducing the amount of virus that we inhale by 80% is better than nothing.”

Bad news for team bandanas suck.

1 Like

Jfc. Out on a drive and we are OPEN FOR BUSINESS. Malls are packed. Near 0 mask usage from what I can see. People congregating in lines. Important businesses like Ross, Dress for Less and Barnes and Noble are PACKED.

Almost enough to make me feel like I’m the crazy one.

Almost

Anyone got the link to @danspartan blog?

Hopefully. Maybe not if they’ve got to get out of the office early to make it to the Lake of the Ozarks in time for their weekend rager.

Um this is how science works. It’s a feature not a big especially in the arena of public heath where anything wishy washy screams “ignore this”.

They damned if they do and damned if they don’t sound confident and end up wrong.

Especially when they are having to counteract the idiot in chief.

https://twitter.com/milkvamp/status/1264398752342630400?s=21

7 Likes

3 Likes

That poor kid.

4 Likes

This is true, it just has to be the right third of your body.

No mention whatsoever of airflow, a/c, filtration, etc?

Me too, but keep in mind that if all similar businesses go out of business, all of that commercial space will be available (and likely cheaper) when it’s safe to start over. Keep in mind that demand will return. So, basically, it might not be as hard to “start over” as one would think. Let these people collect unemployment, and if they were smart and put money away while making good money running a business, they should be able to restart it when this is over - even if they go out of business now.

Jesus Christ, the justice who said that was a Know Nothing back in the day. Wow, how far the Know Nothing coalition has fallen.

Right, but it doesn’t mean we have to push our entire bankroll in on each of their current beliefs based on the limited information we have. In this case, “entire bankroll” means like lung capacity, kidney function, etc for the rest of our lives.

But I think you agree with that, and I agree that they’re damned if they do and damned if they don’t right now.

1 Like