COVID-19: Chapter 10 - Mission Achomlished!

Its an attempt to visualize the frequency and duration of Covid waves. Its reminiscent of similar graphs in economics where they will shade in periods that are recessions, to illustrate how frequent and how long recessions have been.

Looks like a master class in finding patterns in noise. Comparing that with a seasonal flu is misleading.

Not sure I agree. In Ontario the public health officials have been trying (without success) to align future Covid vaccination programs with seasonal flu shot because it requires a ramp up of resources to deliver seasonal flu shots. They desperately want to be able to deliver Covid vaccines simultaneously for logistics and cost. The commemt is right (at least where I live) that the health care system is designed to deliver vaccinations less frequently than is necessary for Covid.

Sure, but what are the shaded areas? Epsilon and Gamma variant, but no Alpha?

That has everything to do with the supply chain, which is designed around the seasonal flu.

So far COVID seems to mutate quite randomly without any real periodicity.

Right, which is why its frustrating to see our wishful thinking government planning around vaccination based on the planned flu season.

Anyway, I agree its not the best graph ever and it probably doesn’t illustrate exactly what the guy was going for, but getting familiar with the nature of mutation and waves is pretty important. His reference to “volatility” might be meant to capture that idea.

I tested positive 10 days ago on Friday. 2 days ago I was tested again. Today I got a text message from the municipal administration:

Wait, what!? Called the hotline confirmed that this is correct. Quarantine ends after 10 days no matter what. Called my doctor and he said if the quarantine is officially over then that‘s it. Nothing he can do.
What was that second test even for!?! I know that CT-values greater than 30 count like a negative test but I am not even close to that.

My only symptom is an annoying cough. I should still act as if I am infectious, right?

1 Like

You can if you want but we’ve cleared people like this since the beginning

My GP seemed pretty skeptical about me not having COVID. It’s not anything she said. Just reading her responses to my statements. I guess with the flu being on the decline during the pandemic, she’s probably seen plenty of people testing negative for COVID and end up having it later on.

She advised me not to take a third COVID test and just to self-quarantine until Thursday after grabbing some prescription meds for my symptoms at a pharmacy.

1 Like

Mask usage at work on Friday: 100%

Mask usage at work today: <20%

First day after spring break, first day of masks optional: 1 student wore a mask in class.

Good thing there isn’t a highly transmissible new variant going around.

Im one of 3 in an office of about 75.

Luckily our section will be closed down on April 1 for refurb so I get to go back to full time WFH for two months right as the surge is going to hit.

To paint a more clear picture, should probably segregate this.

People like me (Millennials/Late Gen-X): 60-70%

Boomers and older Gen-X: <5%

I threw in the towel with masks maybe 2 weeks ago. COVID is over for me.

Good luck with that.

1 Like

I’m trying for a “But is Covid done with you?” meme, but it doesn’t quite work.

Try Yakov Smirnoff

Well this is the grossest thing I’ll read online this hour.

(handwaving a year plus of people’s lives away, what a fucking asshole)

1 Like

All signs continue to point to another wave. God knows how bad it will be