Cooking Good Food - Ramens of the day

I bought a 6 cup Chemex. Need to get a new grinder and kettle. I really don’t want to spend $200 on these grinders I’m looking at. Under $100 would be nice.

It’s going to be slim pickings under $100 unless you buy used. Those high-end manual grinders will give the best grind under $200 afaik but aren’t as convenient. I’d definitely try to allocate to better grinder and cheaper gooseneck kettle. You also need a fairly accurate digital scale if you don’t have one.

I’ve really enjoyed Eric Adjepong on Top Chef, so I made his Jollof Spicy Rice. My blender could barely handle what I was asking from it. Turned out pretty good, looking forward to the leftovers.

Made sour cream and scallion biscuits today. Classic Molly Baz recipe.

5 Likes

Which grinder is that?

https://www.baratza.com/shop/encore-refurb

$99 and you can upgrade the burr to the better M2 burr later. That’s what I did. I’ve disassembled mine several times for that and for cleaning. They are built like tanks. Don’t think there’s a better automatic grinder at this price point. Also, Baratza has notoriously great customer service. Would recommend buying directly from them and not Scamazon.

I think you’d have to jump up to a 48 mm burr hand grinder like a Lido 3 to get a bump in quality. Those are about $185 I think.

1 Like

I had no idea the grinder world was this expensive lol. It’s honestly blowing my mind. Does it really make coffee taste that much better?

Made some homemade amateurish Hummus and my 3-year old ate it with a spoon.

Step 1 completed. Next steps are Bar Mitzvah, bar exam and never calling me unless he needs money.

3 Likes

I would love to be able to say no, but sadly the answer is yes. Ideally, when grinding coffee, every particle would be exactly the same size and dimension and we’d get perfectly even extraction. That is unobtainable, but better grinders produce more uniform grounds. The bare minimum requirement here is conical burr grinder.

If you want to spend less than $100, that Baratza is unequivocally the winner unless there is some new amazing device I don’t know about. The very best you can probably do is a Mahlkonig EK43 shop grinder which starts at $2,700. If you want to go down the rabbit hole start here:

In October, I visited Mahlkonig in Hamburg to conduct some tests at their factory. We wanted to understand more about the EK43 and why it makes coffee taste better. They have quite a lot of equipment to analyse coffee grinders; the most important of which is the laser diffraction particle size analyser. This piece of kit measures the size of every coffee grind in a given sample and plots the results on a graph. That graph can then tell you a lot about the grinder, and help you understand why different grinders make the same coffee taste and extract differently.

1 Like

Another option I floated over in the coffee thread is to pass on a grinder altogether and invest in a vacuum sealer. Order the coffee ground for Chemex on an EK43. Seal it in small packs that have just enough coffee for one serving and freeze them. Open a new one each morning.

Totally making these this weekend

New England Shrimp Rolls for din.

6 Likes

Isn’t there a beer thread? If not, there should be (some of us are recovering alcoholics).

I could have done a better job plating and shooting, but I made this Gordon Ramsay stir fry recipe tonight. The Bok Choy and Fish Sauce made a huge difference imo. Subbed fake ground for beef.

4 Likes

Made this for a quick lunch today for myself as my wife and daughter won’t eat scallops.

Seared scallops drizzled with a lime, butter, garlic, and ginger “sauce” (melted in and scraped from scallop pan) served with a baked sweet potato and a spinach salad with baby spinach, red onion, crushed walnuts, and dried cranberries and a homemade vinaigrette made from olive oil, champagne vinegar, lime, fresh grated ginger, and Aleppo chili pepper flakes.

7 Likes

No pics but tried the weeknight meat sauce recipe from The Food Lab yesterday. Really really good. Will try Kenji’s ragu bolognese when I have more time.

I just watched this the other day and plan on making it. Looks good.

1 Like

Wife has officially perfected sesame chicken.

15 Likes

Aw shit that looks awesome.

Kamala teaching Mark Warner how to make a proper tuna melt (w/o the microwave!)

https://twitter.com/tperry518/status/1253084827894628352?s=19

1 Like

For some reason I compared this to how Nancy Pelosi came across in her now infamous “fridge” video.