Cooking Good Food - Ramens of the day

These are trying times, but keep your eyes out for German hefeweissbier/hefeweizen and some browns or ambers, imo.

You guys might enjoy this:

1 Like

Can’t wait for the breweries’ love affair with over-hopped IPAs fade and they move on to Porters and stouts. I can’t manage to choke down any of the IPAs. All of the beer joints I used to go to had 30+ IPAs and 2 stouts.

1 Like

When I started “getting into” beers last year I joined a local Facebook beer group which is less awful than it sounds.The beer nerds have moved heavily into Russian/imperial stouts this winter. I expect it will show results in a few months.

Rotating beer types with the seasons is standard. I drink way more stouts over the winter then switch back to IPAs in the spring. Lots of wheat beers and sours in the summer.

2 Likes

There is a coffee thread on here that I think gets into all that: Coffee Talk (and Tea)

I think there’s a certain masochism associated with IPAs and that trend will die down when we see less use of ghost peppers, Carolina reapers, and other super-spicy things.

1 Like

I get it of course. Just saying that there are a lot of breweries making high quality* Stouts right now so I think it might become more widespread next year.

*based on other people’s reactions, I am not qualified to judge.

1 Like

I’ve been waiting for the IPA trend to die down for about a decade now. But I go through a phase every 2 or 3 years where I enjoy them again for a month or two before I move on, so it’s not like I can’t enjoy them.

2 Likes

What is the difference between those?

The German name vs. the American name.

So if you go to Germany and order a hefeweizen, do they look at you funny and think you’re a philistine?

Doubtful, because hefeweizen is also a German word, but it’s not what they usually call that style of beer. They might look at you funny if you pronounce the first syllable “hef” like Hugh Hefner instead of rhyming with waif.

I’ve never figured out how to say that right. What I ended up with was Heefe (rhymes w/ Georgia O’Keefe).

There are also a lot of American weissbier with no yeast in the final product. (Well either filtered or forced carbonated.) It’s pretty much just an ale with wheat as the primary grist.

“Hefe” is German for yeast, and true Hefeweizen is always bottle conditioned And rather than pouring the beer off from the settled yeast like you would with most bottle conditioned beers, with Hefewiezen you are meant to drink the yeast. You swirl up the last bit in the bottom of the bottle and pour it in your glass.

Wookie I’m pretty sure you know all this that was for Melkerson’s benefit.

Heff like Hugh Heffner. Vie like tie. Zin like Zinfindal

Heff A Vie Zin

Wookie just said it wasn’t ‘Heff’?

Thanks. I definitely did benefit.

Interesting. That’s how I’ve always pronounced it and everybody else I know too.

I read it with this sound effect. Drama itt