Cooking Good Food - Ramens of the day

I assume it will be available if you live on the West Coast. I have to figure out how far I want to travel to get ingredients.

I almost always do red meat for Christmas, and my family tradition is to do crab for New Year’s Eve. The thinking behind that one is that crab takes so long to pick and eat that by the time you are done with dinner, it’s just about time for the late night festivities (my family New Year’s celebrations are typically pretty lame just spent at home). Lots of reasons why that is a good plan this year!

Costco sometimes has incredible prices on Crab Legs. We’ve gotten King Crab legs for around $20/lb before. If you have a large steam pot it’s the easiest thing to make too. Just toss em in the steamer for about 5-7 minutes with an entire carton of Old Bay

I’m the weird one here, I think, but I just cannot wrap my mind around the idea that someone would choose to eat crab legs for $20/lb instead of a nice ribeye or something for the same price. Seafood is confusing to me.

Wait, don’t you live in Maryland? That’s deeply heretical.

2 Likes

I am generally sympathetic to this, but

This was the best dish in a meal that included wagyu beef. Crab can be really delicious, even if it has a more subtle flavor than beef.

1 Like

Salmon Chowda

9 Likes

I bought 3 pounds of crab legs from Whole Foods. I assume I just throw them in the freezer until Christmas?

1 Like

Yes.

1 Like

Making rib roast for the first time on Christmas.

Planning on following this.

4 Likes

Have made a Prime Rib using the Alton Brown method (Serious Eats uses the same method). It’s foolproof and delicious.

4 Likes

I’ve been watching the Great British Baking Show because it’s just lovely.

I’ve always been a cook, never a baker, but I decided to give baking a shot this weekend. Made a Lemon Meringue Pie.

The 3 components:

1. Prebought Graham Cracker Crust. My wife bakes often and assures me pie crusts are the worst so didn’t bother attempting that for my first go.

2. The Lemon Curd. Soooo much sugar but it turned out really well. No Scrambled Egg or overcooking of it, wonderfully tart flavor.

3. The Meringue. Very easy and fun to make. Recipe I used gave me approximate timings for each step which helped a bunch because I have no idea what “soft peaks” look like, but I think I got the texture basically right.

Biggest problem was I overbaked it. I put it in the oven for about 28 minutes and the peaks of the meringue started to burn a little bit so I had to cut those off. Neither the curd or the meringue has to be baked to be edible, so next time I’d probably just let the curd set and put the meringue on top and bake or blowtorch it just to get it a light brown. I think the overbaking is what contributes to the meringue having a bit of the foamy texture when eaten as it was creamy and fluffy when it came out of the mixer.

13 Likes

Yeah, I don’t watch utoobz without a damn good reason, but if Alton uses the same technique as Kenji, with a low and slow roast to get the meat to roughly uniform temperature just under the desired level of doneness and then finishes on high to get some crust, it’s basically unimproveable. There are some alternatives to the low and slow portion (e.g. sous vide), and some alternatives to the sear portion (e.g. a torch), but low temperature followed by high temperature is perfect.

lol is ‘not watching utoobz’ a thing?

Yes. I’ve long since lost the “utoobz? lol didn’t watch” dancing cat gif, but it’s glorious, and I live by it. Hopefully someone still has it.

what could possibly be the rational

The written word is a much more efficient medium for communication of information, and particularly in the context of political discussion from which the meme was born, they’re often a means by which charlatans both hide their content from critics who would rebut them and draw in sympathizers. There are exceptions, where the sights and sounds are necessary, but if it’s just a person talking to me for the most part, and there’s not a written version, it’s usually not worth watching.

2 Likes

Have you ever had an anarcho-capitalist direct you to an hour-long Youtube video?

do you think Alton Brown’s prime rib video will include an hour long AC lecture?

people are weird.

Not really, no. Also I doubt you actually believe any of that.