Cooking Good Food - Ramens of the day

You will thank me for this. Here is the simplest, and perhaps, tastiest desert on earth.

Dip fresh strawberries in sour cream then in brown sugar.

It’s absolutely magical.

just mix sugar with sour cream. That’s the way my grandparents used to eat Strawberries and I get the cravings for that every couple of years

Ecf822MUEAEoiRp

13 Likes

I already posted this before, but pesto + lemon + fancy canned tuna + fusili is a really great and very easy summer funtime pasta dish.

Had a date over so I made the steamed whole trout with the beurre rouge that I just learned. I used a bold red wine instead of a pink this time but it still came out great. Fish timed perfectly at 400 for 25 min, flipping it once halfway just in case. Served it with rice and green salad with oil + lime.

She was not a fan of the sauce. She said it was too tangy, but that the fish was perfect. She finished the plate. I asked her if the fish was fattie or oily and she said no it was great and it felt really light and balanced and that’s why she had all of it. I then did the stupid boy thing of suggesting maybe the reason it felt so BALANCED WAS BECAUSE OF THE TANGY SAUCE CUTTING TRHgsohdgsohdg…

5 Likes

I read “three bowl job” wrong and figured that was your, ahem “reward” for putting in so much effort on the pancakes. I bought the ingredients to make his pancakes, then reread the recipe and decided to stick with my premade mixes. Kodiak or TJ’s brand are fine by me.

I’m planning on getting a proper wok from the Asian grocery store tomorrow. I’m assuming they’ll have better stuff there than if I went to a regular store and I’d rather buy from them than Amazon. If anyone has something to add besides what Kenji says about buying a wok in the Food Lab (carbon steel, small and long handles, spun on a lathe), I would appreciate it!

I should add I made mapo tofu for the first time a couple of weeks ago because my brother made it and inspired me. It came out incredibly good, one of the best things I’ve made. I’ll post pictures and what not the text time I make it. I used this recipe: Mapo Tofu Recipe: The Real Deal - The Woks of Life

Do you have a decent burner for it? Otherwise I don’t think I’d bother.

Define ‘decent’ and why wouldn’t you bother?

Right on schedule, Kenji comes through. Click for the recipe, stay for (a) the discussion of woks in home kitchens vs restaurants (higher powered burners) and (b) images of Kenji tossing the food with one hand while operating a blow torch with the other with a gopro attached to the wok.

2 Likes

A bar here used to make this recipe which was copied from Joe Jost bar in CA. They are no longer open but once I found the receipe I make them a few times a year.

So now I need a wok AND a blow torch? Damn

i will pay infinite money for a kenji show with Babish editing/production. this gopro shit is torture.

and if we’re on that continent, anyone has a tom yum soup recipe he tested and approved?

There’s something very wrong with either Kenji’s food or his dog.

@Yuv, how does one transfer shakshuka from the pan to a dish without making a royal mess of everythying?

Eat straight from the pan.

2 Likes

Simple answer is you don’t. Thats why its so popular to serve it in a small pan.

2 Likes

Where is the process going wrong for you?

Fuck me, I’ve been doing it wrong this whole time.

Keep in mind that residual heat means you might need to take it off the stove a minute earlier than you would otherwise