Cooking Good Food - Ramens of the day

Yeah, I don’t want to hate just because it’s different, but a nontrivial amount of my usage on the site is just scanning pretty big arrays of recipes with pretty loose constraints for something that strikes me. They made that a lot harder now.

1 Like

do you guys use MSG in your cooking? Why don’t I use MSG? What should I use MSG in?

I don’t use MSG because I use other sources of umami, like soy sauce, but I am not opposed to using it.

One place that MSG makes sense is when you want a dry ingredient to season meat. For example, KFC’s recipe for fried chicken reportedly includes MSG.

Just got a container of “Accent” which apparently is just MSG. Plan to use it in a veggie dip.

perhaps it’s just me. i’m not terribly incensed about the redesign because i mostly google for recipes and then click direct links to serious eats.

Daniel Gritzer is pretty good.

Speaking of which I am a Michelada snob and really enjoyed this from him.

3 Likes

I’m not necessarily opposed, but I generally use food products like soy sauce or fish sauce that have a little more going on with them than just the MSG.

I don’t sprinkle MSG powder on my food but some ingredients like chili crisp are essential and are packed with delicious MSG goodness.

I’m not super familiar with the stuff, so you made me look up the SE recipe to look for it:

Ingredients

27g (1 cup) dried árbol chilies, stems removed (see note)
20g (3/4 cup) dried chiles japones, stems removed (see note)
25g (3/4 cup) dried Kashmiri red chilies, stems removed (see note)
1/2 cup (50g) roasted, salted peanuts, chopped
2-inch piece (30g) fresh ginger, sliced into thin matchsticks
3/4 teaspoon (2g) freshly ground black pepper
3 pieces whole star anise
2 red or black cardamom pods, split in half
2 teaspoons (6g) freshly ground cumin
3 tablespoons (28g) freshly ground Sichuan peppercorn (see note)
3 tablespoons (12g) porcini or shiitake mushroom powder

Aha! Found it.

• 5 teaspoons (30g) Diamond Crystal kosher salt; for table salt, use about half as much by volume or the same by weight
  • 1 teaspoon (4g) MSG (optional)

Oh right.

1 Like

I dont make my own, I just buy jars of this stuff.

2 Likes

I’ll have one

2 Likes

Nice. How long did you need to cook the broth? And no aromatics like ginger or garlic or onions at all in it?

gimme a TR. I saw that product and was wondering how one will use it. Just sprinkle like salt?

Yeah it looks identical to table salt if you shake some out. Your brain expects salt if you taste it, but it only has a…savory taste.

Was only dipping a finger into it so I didn’t really notice much of anything. Had some dip with it as an ingredient (assuming like a tsp or something) and didn’t detect anything unusual. Not sure what quantities you need to get into in order to “feel anything” if you do have a sensitivity toward it. It’s apparently controversial whether it is good or bad, and might be vaguely racist or something but didn’t get into that.

1 Like

@MrWookie or one of you French cuisine experts: What kind of butter is this guy talking about? I’m no expert but I think Youtube CC is probably wrong about this.

3 Likes

I do sometimes have a lot of trouble understanding Ludo when I see him on tv.

he just said clarified butter in a weird accent i think.

2 Likes

best guess, @Lawnmower_Man

2 Likes

I wish they would have clarified this in the video.

2 Likes