College Football 2024: Hail to the Cheaters

Tennessee?

You are the only ten I see

3 Likes

we will see I guess, they play UGA and if they somehow win in Athens theyā€™ll probably play Texas after that in SEC championship*. their QB looks good from what I saw

*and then still get in the 12-team playoff with 2-3 losses, delegitimizing it further

Any sec or big ten team going 10-2 is 100% in

1 Like

9 Likes

Nope!

The SEC will have 6 playoff teams this year

not enough imo

1 Like

https://x.com/Brett_McMurphy/status/1834098490818924716?t=VRV5mTxzISDT54ZSKftdIA&s=19

The 6-Pac

2 Likes

So wait, the current conference is the Tupac?

3 Likes

This makes sense and with all the other realignment I donā€™t think theyā€™ll have trouble adding two more.

I donā€™t love the fact that the ā€œlesserā€ schools in the MWC end up suffering the way that WSU and OSU did, and in that sense wish it was a merger with the whole conference, but it is what it is.

The whole thing is just sad.

3 Likes

if it makes you feel better I donā€™t think conferences will exist in a form like now at all in 10 years or so.

2 Likes

You think so? Seems like thereā€™s a ton invested in the various conference television networks, and Iā€™m not sure some alternative like NCAA Network or whatever lets schools charge more to carry it.

Basically I donā€™t see the current system as stable because there are a lot of schools that are drains on conferences. What does Northwestern add to the Big Ten? What does South Carolina add to the SEC?

As schools start to having actually pay labor costs, thereā€™s going to be a lot of pressure to trim fat so that the powerbrokers get more of the revenue produced. The tradition that pressures conferences to keep teams that arenā€™t net contributors to the conference seems to be fading away.

Thereā€™s a couple of ways this could be done. Schools could do the Longhorn network thing. They could break away from the NCAA like the premier league. They could drop teams from a conference. Think 1 or 2 is more likely than 3.

1 Like

I agree that the big conferences have to be close to where expansion ends and contraction begins.

Iā€™d guess the valuable ACC Properties will find a way in to the SEC and Big 10 somehow. Then the inward looking begins where Ohio State, Michigan, Oregon, USC are asking themselves why theyā€™re giving an equal revenue share to Purdue, Minnesota, Rutgers, etc.

When weā€™ve stripped away all pretense of tradition or geography and the only value you bring is money, this feels like the next natural step.

4 Likes

So what youā€™re saying is we arenā€™t anywhere near rock bottom for how stupid itā€™s going to get?

I mean, at the end of the day being hardcore fans of a sport that destroyed its players brains and bodies while offering them a pittance of their value, this is all comeuppance. We deserve this.

2 Likes

Yeah pretty much.

Although Iā€™m not convinced the 12 team playoff is necessarily bad. The old system wasnā€™t good either, especially for the players.

Watching Brian Kelly rage is one of lifeā€™s great pleasures

1 Like