College Football 2024: Hail to the Cheaters

O-JA-BO

1 Like

They’re still efficient because it’s all 5-stars and a #1 QB prospect but definitely worse than last year. Fewer attempts per game at lower comp%, YPA, and AY/A, and really feels like they need that extra dude to compete with UGA. The only analysis of 3rd down bucketed into yards to gain I could find is from last year, where OSU appeared to be particularly good if not elite on short to medium.

Day kept running smashmouth on 3rd and short and kept punting

Michigan run game - grind OSU to dust

OSU scored a lot and looked good. Just had to punt too many times.

1 Like

Jason Garrett a finalist for Stanford job. Would be his first college coaching job.

I can’t think of a time where someone who had a cushy lifestyle went to college football coaching and made a good run of it.

College football coaching is best done by the truly mentally ill workaholics who never stop recruiting.

yeah it’s such a different job than pro coach. seems 100x harder than NFL head coach. Just juggling so many more pieces and there’s no GM, the Athletic director might help with some stuff but most of those guys are just fundraising and the really good coaches won’t let them interfere. NFL coaches have way more support and fewer actual responsibilities.

depends, in the NFL players are more control over you cause they are paid more, this isn’t true at all in college, though now they just enter the portal

I mean urban meyer went from college god to holy crap he’s horrible in the NFL

Meyer sucked because he wasn’t capable of treating players on some sort of equal footing though. NFL job is easier because it has actual actual time off per every coaching gossip thing I’ve ever listened too.

Nick Saban says “hi” though he was really a college coach all along.

What is everyone’s thoughts on Deion Sanders at CU?

Obviously if resources are poured in and admissions requirements are eased there should be considerable improvement (hell, even with just cosmetic changes they should do better than 1-11).

On the other hand, the whole thing feels like a strategy that would have been done already if it worked. Sanders was a special player but it’s not as if there are no other former NFL players with flash and style.

I found the intro speech to the team pretty off-putting but that may be because I’m accustomed to crusty old white guy narcissist football coaches rather than brash, young-ish black narcissist football coaches.

I would love if it I was a Colorado fan.

I don’t know, Deion Sanders flash and style is all time in the NFL ranks. Plus in the portal world, recruiting prowess matters now more than ever. The days of spending a large amount of effort trying to find a diamond in the ruff doesn’t matter.

1 Like

This may be an awful take…

The teams Oregon had that were recruited in the badass uniform era but prior to Chip Kelly’s arrival were simultaneously a huge step up in recruiting rankings but a big step down and an inconsistent mess on the field.*

I’ve always suspected a connection. Recruiting rankings matter insofar as indicating a base talent level, but if you could also sort them by reasons for choosing a program I suspect you’d get a better correlation with results on the field.

*Full disclosure I also think every Duck uniform combo that isn’t the traditional green and yellow colors from the 90s are ugly as shit, and the Akili Smith/Reuben Droughns team from when I was in 5th grade is probably the sports team I’m most nostalgic over.

Those were the days …

I am wondering if we are on the edge of good college teams be entirely developed through the transfer portal and with little to no high school recruiting.

As for Deion specifically, if he brings in good coordinators the team could do fairly well. I think Mike Zimmer is going to be his DC.

It’s been tried, texas st is the wildest example, it frequently doesn’t go well and has huge swings year to year (like MSU for example)

I love the brashness, but yeah, the thing where he basically told them all to transfer out because he was bringing in better players bothered me a bit. I mean, you can at least pretend give a shit about them for a day.

While I think it’s often overstated and we tend to overrate players likelihood of taking a big leap forward from year to year, I do think there is something to continuity in a scheme or system that helps over time, especially in CFB where practice and game time is so relatively limited.

That was taken a bit out of context, because it was predicated on players not putting in the effort and not taking it seriously.

he didn’t know who aaron donald was man

right even if you do, they are poached by someone else, it’s gotta be super annoying for bottom or middle tier programs now

in real playoff games news, the 7 seed stunned the 2 seed 66-63

1 Like