Coffee Talk (and Tea)

Selling normal priced stuff from Japan at insane markups to US buyers is an entire cottage industry.

1 Like

Jasmine Oolong tea. Dry tea expands from 1/8-inch tall to 2-inches after steeping. Tastes like the stuff my wife orders at dim sum. David’s Teas if anyone is interested. Haven’t been disappointed with anything I’ve tried, tho they did discontinue the citris oolong tea that was my favorite. Ordered it from another vendor and it wasn’t quite as good.

1 Like

Was looking for a coffee I could serve to friends and family and went with this Dunkin’ Donuts whole bean since several people told me they prefer coffee from there. DD calls it medium roast but it looks a shade or two darker, and they claim to use 100% arabica sourced from Central and South America. Of course, it’s an economical blend, and the price reflects this at $9 / 12oz.

It’s been years since I’ve had this but it’s better than I remember. It opens fairly dark with some chocolate notes, woodiness, and only a hint of acidity. Balanced and unobjectionable but not too interesting with a medium(ish) body. If I was forced to call specific notes, I’d say smoked cedar and chocolate-covered (dark) cherry, but that’s stretching it. Then it opens up a bit with more of the woodiness coming through while the acids increase from faint to a low/medium level through the finish. I enjoy that acid curve (monotically increasing) and think this is the most redeeming quality of this coffee. There’s a comp I thought of immediately from April 2020:

It’s sort of like that Sumatran, just not as good because the flavors aren’t as clear or defined. That’s the difference between a cost-saving blend and a good single origin that costs a few bucks more. Of course, one could argue this is a psychosensory effect since that’s exactly what I’m expecting the difference to be, but I’m pretty certain I’d prefer that Sumatran blind 10/10 times. My review of it was especially favorable and it’s still vividly in memory more than two years later.

Note: The DD was worst at max temperature (undrinkable imo) and only opened up as it cooled. In fact, I thought it was probably still improving as it cooled below serving temperature for hot coffee. Maybe that makes it’s a good candidate for iced coffee. There’s still some left in the bag so I’ll give that a shot next.

Final takeaway: If you enjoy this style of coffee, try one of La Minita estate’s Sumatrans. They have a few different ones, but I believe the Aceh Gold I had was the Mutu Batak product.

Looks like a lot of places are roasting this now, but Klatch is the only one I’m familiar with. Just remember to look for big coupon codes if you order from Klatch since they’ll often have 20% to 30% off.

https://www.klatchcoffee.com/products/sumatra-mutu-batak

Wtf is this shit (promoted tweet in my TL)

https://twitter.com/sfwgreg/status/1539380183710552064

Fucking “theanine-L” ok dude

Lol this is a big one in the nootropic / BioH4cKiNg supplement scam world, and there’s no evidence that it does anything they claim.

1 Like

LIGMA BALS on point as usual.

Bought an espresso machine. Fighting the urge to have an espresso every ten minutes.

Had this in what my expert friend says is the best coffee place in Israel.

Done in V60. Way less sour than i expected. I can translate if anyone interested

Last dose of this Colombia natural and I finally solve it. I’ve brewed this thing every which way to Sunday and the key variable turns out to be water temperature. I noticed the lower temps were getting closer to what I wanted, so finally dropped it down to 198 F and the sweetness popped off the charts. It still has a bit of a dirty finish so not a perfect cup, and I’m not sure if that’s a defect of the coffee or something that could be brewed out with more attempts.

What does it taste like?

:harold:

My former neighbor was an espresso addict. Dude was hitting 15 shots per day at one point.

jesus christ

Yeah he had to quit espresso entirely. He told me at one point he was driving home at lunch to pull shots and then getting another round in after work. Last I knew he sold everything and was down to an Ottomatic Chemex machine drinking brewed coffee.

In the early going at least, only a small part of the motivation for me is to actually drink an espresso. It’s mostly about getting better at making an espresso.

Coffee. But at least it was tasty so thats good.

It says red fruits, sweet pastry and flowers. It had 5 “stars” in acidity and sweetness, 3 in body and 2 in bitterness. It def felt sweeter than i expected

1 Like

I need to reload. Anyone have any recommendations? Seems like anaerobic is the rage right now. I’ve always thought of it more as novelty / experimental.

What does it even mean?

Instead of fermenting in open air, they put the cherries / beans / mucilage in sealed tanks and force the oxygen out. It gives a lot of control over the fermentation process which has led to more experimentation. Some of the producers introduce additives like spices for flavor which I definitely consider novelty.

1 Like

It also said “dry proccessed” in the description. Thats a literal translation though dont know if theres a different wording

I also tried their cold brew that was mainly done with these beans. I dunno anything about this but i appreciate the craftsmanship