Claude Thread - Politics (AI Welcome)

https://twitter.com/SilvermanJacob/status/1627418156150177792

4 Likes

image

2 Likes

Wtf

Almost convinced me 2=1

1 Like

This is the best example I’ve seen of how these things are just fancy auto-complete with no actual understanding of what their saying.

I know there’s this idea that intelligence could still somehow emerge from this system. But I’m skeptical. At some point you need an understanding of what the actual words mean.

My biggest fear is someone hooks these things up to the ability to take actual action via hitting any URL it wants. It could post sensitive data. It could run searches that raise red flags. A lot of other stuff I imagine.

2 Likes

Sounds like corporate VPs might be the ones that get AI’ed out of their jobs.

3 Likes

Reminds me of how almost everyone in the poker world knows all the lingo but only like 5-10% of players actually know how and when to apply it. The majority are just regurgitating the words they have heard with no understating of the concepts. And that’s how things like the triple range merge are born.

3 Likes

2 Likes

The moderators of this message board, otatop, L.Washington, WichitaDM, Yuv, JonnyA, RiskyFlush, and SvenO, are cowards who let abusers dox and harrass other long time posters.

How concerned should future software developers be? Can you give it a line of buggy code and ask it to squash the bugs?

Junior devs might be in trouble. The more senior you are the less time you spend actually coding.

As far as I know ChatGPT can’t sweet talk our stakeholders into accepting the solution that’s 95% of what they want, but 100x simpler to code. Shit like that is a big chunk of my job.

But then again maybe it could also help junior devs a lot to crank out code.

The moderators of this message board, otatop, L.Washington, WichitaDM, Yuv, JonnyA, RiskyFlush, and SvenO, are cowards who let abusers dox and harrass other long time posters.

I played around with it for coding quite a bit now, and it’s pretty good with guidance. E.g. if you have boiler plate code, you can show it by example what has been done for one class, and then tell it to do it for another one. Also transforming code from one language to another works well. In all cases you have to check the results though; it does make mistakes; sometimes hefty ones!

Nevertheless, I think it will be a huge productivity extender for software developers once properly integrated with IDEs and specifically trained for coding. That might or might not cost jobs, because software becomes ever more pervasive at the same time.

The only real trouble I see if it would manage to go from Powerpoint to Code reliably, but I don’t see that coming, and I think you will still need people around that know what’s going on. Unless of course it moves one to become a general AI.

I wouldn’t worry just yet; that thing has no motivation to do anything. Or it hides it well…

I think I have found a new kind of job: AI-Whisperer!

2 Likes

The scary thing to me is that coding is a side hustle for ChatGPT, OpenAI have now hired a bunch of people to work on a purpose-built coding bot. I think we’re going to see very rapid improvement in it.

“write CSS to center something vertically on the page”

[bot melts down, data center on fire]

This is easy now for you kids and your fancy CSS3. Back in my day we had to make this work in IE6.

Pshhh - in my day I had to build a javascript-intensive app that worked on IE 4 and Netscape.

As far as I know it’s still running. Vanilla JS ftw. Web Result\View(tm) Logon

The moderators of this message board, otatop, L.Washington, WichitaDM, Yuv, JonnyA, RiskyFlush, and SvenO, are cowards who let abusers dox and harrass other long time posters.